Assigning instruments per tracks

Sergio
2007-06-02
2013-05-08
  • Sergio

Sergio - 2007-06-02

Hi all,

Is there any way to assign, in timidity.cfg, the instruments per track instead per channel ?

My midifiles are created on Rosegarden but without sound (i'm working on Solaris without ALSA) and, for this reason, all tracks seems to be pointing to the same channel 0.

Best regards,

Sergio

• Nobody/Anonymous

The instruments are assigned via the bank/prog information and not via channel/track, so you'd have to convince Rosegarden to place correct info in the tracks, I think?

Perhaps a better approach would be able to get MIDI working with Rosegarden by installing the OSS drivers from opensound, and than try to get a working softsynth  using their ALSA compatibility lib. No idea if that could work, though.

• Sergio

Sergio - 2007-06-05

Hi,

Thank's for your answer !

I have already the OSS installed on my machine. But Rosegarden need really ALSA, wich is actually uncompatible with the Solaris kernel. And the problem is the same for BSD and OSX.

My idea was to put manually any information about the choosed banks directly in the midifile (!), or to write a second configuration file for Timidity, explaining what bank i choosed for each track...

Best regards,

Sergio

• Nobody/Anonymous

A. I know that ALSA is for Linux only. But I was thinking of this message from OSS's dev:

http://www.4front-tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1887&sid=f0fd61fbaa3cb06dbb8a1f03ee84d9a9

(quote)
      "So we took a different approach - namely modifying the libasound (ALSA lib) to talk to OSS drivers rather than ALSA drivers and this approach looks more easily portable - for instance it's possible to support ALSA library on FreeBSD or Solaris."
      (/quote)

The download link doesn't work, but the dev should be able to tell you what's the current status of libsalsa. Maybe it works under Solaris by now?

B. Looking at the docs for timidity.cfg, I don't see any way to set a bank for a track, but I could be wrong. Try the mailing list - though it's almost dead too.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Reading the other threads it seems like libsalsa doesn't do MIDI, so that approach probably will not work either.

• Sergio

Sergio - 2007-06-05

Oh ! Very interessant ! And i never heard about that ! Great thank's !

This way looks useful to grab. Effectively, first i must wait the midi/sequencer module of this ALSA emulation. And after that, THE problem : how will Rosegarden recognize this emulation...

Other ways are also in question : ALSA port for Solaris, new version of Rosegarden using only the new Jack API... A day...

In all cases, again thank's greatly for the work you made searching this important new and publishing it on this forum.

Cheers,

Sergio

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks