Is timidity death?

2007-07-17
2013-05-08
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Timidity hasn't had a significant new version for years. Is it dead? (for me it's obvious it's dead).
    Does/has it have/had a main developer? A developer team? A japanese homepage? Many non japanese pages, but none of them is the official one?
    Is it one of the most confusing projects around?

I'm stuck with "timidity 2.13 gui windows version" or "timidity++ current" or, sincerely, "I don't know". I don't know what version I'm runing now. It's frustrating...

I just want to know if it's dead, and if so, I'd like to know if another (free) software midi synth (for windows) exist.

Greetings.

• SATO Kentaro

SATO Kentaro - 2007-07-17

At the beginning of the year when I had a certain amount of spare time, I asked other Japanese developers about the status of the web sites.
      What I thought from reading the replies is that they are mostly just busy. So TiMidity++ isn't dead but sleeping. Period.
      If you're talking about Saito-san, who had been writing code hard for synth part a few years ago, I hadn't heard anything from him.

For the Windows binary, try the one available here <http://sourceforge.jp/projects/twsynth/>.
      It'd be newer somewhat, or the latest. I don't know about other Windows synth softwares.

Maybe I or someone should open up a new site so that requests and bug reports are tidy up.
      Until then, writing them on SF.net forums won't be that of no use :-)
      No explicit requests? TiMidity++ at present isn't a good solution for the ones who vaguely expecting for weekly progressing version numbers (no offense. I know how they feel.)

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thank you very much for shedding some light :)

• Nobody/Anonymous

This is very much enlightening.  It's sleeping but it's sleeping for the last 3 years.  :)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks