What if apci sensors fails ?

Pop
2011-10-08
2013-01-28
  • Pop

Pop - 2011-10-08

Hi !
    For some reason I was not able to explain yet (I think could be an intermitent hardware failure) CPU temperature reading on my thinkpad T410 was -128 Celsius. This happened a couple of days ago fortunatelly without any majir consequences but I would say taht  my machine was at the point  to get some eggs done really quick ;-)

So if a problem/failure ok this kind happens, thinkfan user may easily burn their machine even if I thought very well about his thinkpad.conf values.

I tried to set thinkpad.conf values to put fan at the maximum level if temperature drops from 0 Celsius, but thinkfan doesn't start and prints the following message:

>Starting thinkfan …
    > /etc/thinkfan.conf:44:(0,     0       45)

>Syntax error.
    >Refusing to run without usable config file. Please read AND UNDERSTAND the documentation!

This is the config file I was trying to achive what I've explained:
    (7,     -32767, 0)
    (0,     0       45)
    (1,     45,     55)
    (2,     55,     58)
    (3,     58,     62)
    (4,     62,     66)
    (5,     66,     70)
    (7,     70,     32767)

Could you please change the code in order to cover such type of occurance ?

As a workaround I'm using this setup which neves turns the fan off:
    (1,     -32767, 55)
    (2,     55,     58)
    (3,     58,     62)
    (4,     62,     66)
    (5,     66,     70)
    (7,     70,     32767)

Thanks for your support.

• Victor Mataré

Victor Mataré - 2011-10-12

OK, whenever you want to use some weird config that thinkfan would normally reject, you can use the -D switch (DANGEROUS mode!). BUT if you do this you should make sure you really understood how thinkfan works. In this case what you're trying to achieve looks sensible to me, so go ahead and try it. Other than that, the scenario you're mentioning might be worth some special treatment. Maybe I'll force an implicit (auto, -32767, 0) before the first fan level in a future release.

• Pop

Pop - 2011-10-19

Hi !

This "an implicit (auto, -32767, 0) before the first fan level in a future release" will be great …

Hope you have time to do it soon …

Thanks for your feedback and support.

• Victor Mataré

Victor Mataré - 2011-10-19

I just realized it's not as easy as adding an implicit fan level. I'll need to add an additional check to detect if a sensor has vanished. Guess it's worth the extra instruction….

• Pop

Pop - 2011-10-20

I've no doubts my friend … it worth the extra code !
    Thanks again …

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks