Menu

TSL Project News

TSL Guru
2010-08-14
2013-04-15
  • TSL Guru

TSL Guru - 2010-08-14

Hey all!

As new developments in the TSL Project are made, we will release the news on this forum.  We ask that you only ask questions pertaining to recent news, and that you check previous questions to make sure that you are not asking a question that has already been asked and answered.  As long as the number of questions remains small, an administrator will try to answer them.

TSL (the Text Storage Language) is meant to be a more efficient way to store text that, unlike zipped files, can be decoded quickly by applications in small chunks, so that the entire file does not have to be accessed at once.  It's final intended purpose is to be used on HTML (which is mostly text) to cut down on the size of websites in order to decrease data storage costs.

Since ease-of-use is a high priority for this project, we are developing a TSL interpreter in Perl, and then later an application will be written in C++ in which text can be edited.

This project is a rather low priority of mine at the moment, and so progress will be slow for several years (unless other developers join who can spend more time working on the project).

If you are hoping to join as a developer, please let me know, and I look forward to hearing your suggestions for the project and answering any questions you may have!

Tom

• TSL Guru

TSL Guru - 2010-08-14

One more thing (for now) - the TSL format can be found in a text file in the 0.0 folder (TSL Format.txt)

This is liable to change (and it almost certainly will before the project is finished), and it is not meant to be complete at this point in time.  As new editions of the TSL format are introduced, new text files will be uploaded to the file area with the changes.

• TSL Guru

TSL Guru - 2010-08-15

Good news!  I just uploaded the files numbers2tsl.pl and words2six.pl, completing the scripts for the creating each of the individual types of data stored under TSL.  Now, all that is needed is a final script to go through text files, identify what type of data each segment of text is, prompt the function to do the conversion, and spit out the output.

Our first language translator is almost complete!  Once we get the .txt -> .tsl conversion finished, I will begin development of a .tsl -> .txt translator.  As always, anybody who wants to help out can feel free to reply and start helping!