cannot open TextCite in Mac mini

HVesala
2009-07-04
2012-12-10
  • HVesala
    HVesala
    2009-07-04

After noticing TextCite in Macupdate I decided to give it a try.

I downloaded TextCite-OSX-1.3.1.dmg from SourceForge (inside the dmg was the version 1.2).

When I tried several times to open TextCite it froze every time at the opening. When I downloaded later the "tar" version, it works (although it is not the latest version 1.3.1). I would like to use, however, the "mac" version of TextCite.

I am wondering if anyone could enlighten me in these questions:

- Why the TextCite-OSX-1.3.1.dmg contains the version 1.2?

- Am I doing something wrong when the "mac" version of TextCite does not open in my Mac mini (PPC, 10.5.8 & Java 1.5)?

• Erik Norvelle
      Erik Norvelle
      2009-07-04

The first issue (i.e. TextCite freezing) is due to Java behaving weirdly on PPC machines.  Download the "Tiger" release 1.3... it avoids this problem. 

1.3 and 1.3.1 are actually the same, except that 1.3.1 requests Java 1.5 instead of the default 1.6 on running (to avoid other weird Java problems).

Cheers,
      Erik

• HVesala
      HVesala
      2009-07-04

Thank you Erik for the quick response.

I downloaded the Tiger version and it seems to work fine.

TextCite is a program that I have been looking for. Even though DevonThink Pro 2 (which I use) is an excellent information gathering program, it is not at its best collecting and organizing citations (in my case from Roman and Greek authors).

It would be very nice, however, if DevonThink and TextCite were able to cooperate and Citebooks could be opened in DevonThink (like "skimmed" pdfs).

With best wishes,

Heimo

• Erik Norvelle
      Erik Norvelle
      2009-07-04

The problem with attempting to make TextCite interact with other programs is that many programs are platform dependent, like DevonThink, which (as far as I can tell) only works on the Mac.

I've done work on integration with programs like EndNote and LaTeX (i.e. via BibTeX), because these programs are multiplatform, and hence are (theoretically) available to all my users.

One way to "fake" integration with DevonThink would be to export your citations periodically to PDF or RTF and let DevonThink track the exported file(s). Not automatic, but perhaps better than nothing.

Cheers,
      Erik