Import DATA

2008-11-17
2012-12-10
  • antoniomoneo

antoniomoneo - 2008-11-17

Dear friends

I am new in this program and I would like to ask you if there's any way to import data from other applications like RefWorks...I have all my bibliography there, but as long as you can't work offline with RefWorks I would like to try to work with TextCite,and it would be a real burden to try to move manually the bibliography from RefWorks to TextCite. Thanks in advance. The program looks nice and useful, I hope I can use it with already processed info.
    Cheers,
    antonio

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2008-12-11

Greetings,

Sorry for the long delay in posting; I don't always get notifications of new messages.

There's currently no way to directly import information on publications from RefWorks.  TextCite is meant to accompany, NOT replace, a bibliography manager.  In particular, TextCite only stores a minimal amount of information about each publication (i.e. title, author, date of publication, bibliographic ID).

Here, the Bib ID should be the same as the record number in RefWorks.

My suggestion... every time you want to save text from a publication not in TextCite, create a publication record for it, and leave the Bibliographic ID blank until the next time you are online with RefWorks.  Then, find the record number in RefWorks and paste it into the Bib ID field in the publication record in TextCite (right-click on the publication in the author/pub view, choose "Edit Publication").  That's how I do it, anyway.

Importation of bibliographic data is a future planned feature, but right now my dissertation is taking all my time.

Cheers,
      Erik

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks