export to database?

2010-01-18
2017-02-28
  • Ben DeVries

Ben DeVries - 2010-01-18

Eric, this looks like wonderful software, and one which is impossibly hard to find elsewhere. Thank you for creating it. My one concern before spending hours, if not days, organizing and entering my quotes is whether there will ever be an export function to standard databases down the road, should TextCite ever go out of service? By way of example, by dad used to use PCFile extensively to organize his quotes, and they no longer make the software. The export function to PDF is great, but wouldn't preserve the organizational properties of the quotes is my best guess. I would be grateful for any feedback or advice you might have, and thank you very much for your time. best wishes - Ben D.

• Ben DeVries

Ben DeVries - 2010-03-26

Erik, did you have any thoughts on the above?
    thanks - Ben

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2010-03-29

Howdy Ben,

There is an option for exporting XML in the upcoming (2.0) version of the program.  My problem is that my doctoral thesis is eating all my time, and I won't be able to finish the corresponding Import function until the thesis is finished.  One possible solution is that I can send you a version with Export to XML enabled… it's a fairly simple export format, and you can write a quickie program in Perl or Java to extract the information and do whatever you want with it.

Let me know.  I won't be able to get to it till next week at least, though.

• Ben DeVries

Ben DeVries - 2010-03-29

Erik, the XML export option coming up in the 2.0 version sounds awesome. I'll be happy to wait for that, whenever you're able to get around to it. I'm actually not very adept in programming, and just look forward to the new version. Thank you for working on that.
    And I wish you the very best with the remainder of your thesis. I had a much smaller final project for my masters a couple of years back, and remember how much that dominated my time and energy even so.
    best wishes, and thanks for the response - Ben

• Patrick Hilt

Patrick Hilt - 2017-02-28

Hi Erik,
    That is too bad. Do you have any written documentation on the format? We might consider creating a filter to facilitate importing TextCite data into Citavi. At the moment, there are very few reference management programs that could import quotations from TextCite at all, since most programs do not permit to save quotations together with the title information and categorize the quotations individually.

How do you see the future of the project? Do you believe with any reasonable probability that you will again be interested enough in developing TextCite further some time in the future?
    If not, what about putting the current status of the project on the first page in sourcefourge? People continue to download and use TextCite because they assume that it is still actively developed, since it is not immediately obvious that nothing has been done for nine years. I believe you should actively tell them so they can make a qualified decision if they should use it or not.

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2017-02-28

There will be no more development on TextCite. It does what it does very well and is highly robust... in all the years it has been available not a single person has lost data. I developed it to help me with my doctoral research, and I have finished that.

As for the TextCite file format, you can do the following: Create a new Citebook (.cb) file, add a couple of authors and publications, add a citation or two to each one, then open the resulting .cb file as XML as I described above. You will have a short file that is easy to understand, the schema is very straightforward.