soon as I choose export-PDF, a blank dialog box appears and the program
    freezes, when I get the dialog to close the program closes as well. Same
    thing with export to rtf, although in this case closing the dialog doesn't
    automatically shut down TextCite. In any case I can't get it to export my
    data. I am running the program in a MacBook, OSX 10.5.7. Is there something
    I can do to fix this?

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2009-07-02

This is probably a result of running under Java 1.6 on Mac.  Use the Java Preferences
      Panel (on my machine it's found under /Applications/Utilities/Java) to choose
      J2SE 5 (32 bit) as the first virtual machine in each list (you can change
      their order by dragging the items).  Close TextCite and start it again.  You
      shouldn't have any problems running under 1.5.

• Ric Cruz

Ric Cruz - 2009-07-02

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, Eric.

I have been running J2SE 5.0 (32 bit) the whole time. And no matter what I do, when I try to export I get an overextended, almost empty dialog box, which does not work, and when closed, the program quits. Anything else I can do? I could really use a print out of my notes, since I need to send a chapter to my adviser very soon. I will appreciate any help.

• Ric Cruz

Ric Cruz - 2009-07-02

Actually, I cannot see the preferences panel either. It is as if the elements were bigger than the dialog box, so I see some items, see parts of others and cannot select any; as if the elements spilled out of the window.

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2009-07-02

This is very odd behavior indeed.  There are a couple of possibilities to try.  1) Change your default JVM to be 1.6 (this should already be installed if you've been good about installing Apple's Java updates).  See if the same problem occurs with 1.6 as well as 1.5.  2) Download an earlier version of TextCite, naming the application package something different, like "TextCite 1.2", and load your CiteBook with that version.

Let me know what you find out by trying these two techniques.

Cheers,
        Erik

• Ric Cruz

Ric Cruz - 2009-07-04

I am still dealing with this. It seems there is no Java 1.6 for my Macbook with intel core duo, 32 bits--it says so in the notes to the OSX 10.5 Java Update 1. So, I will try the option of installing an earlier version of TextCite. I will let you know. Let me know if you think of something else I can do.

As an aside, I made the same mistake referred in the "all my citations disappeared" thread, and I recovered them with the back up. Thanks so much for thinking about those back ups! It would actually be great if Command-N opened a new citation instead of a new citebook.

Best, and thanks so much for all the support

Ricardo

• Ric Cruz

Ric Cruz - 2009-07-05

No luck! I attempted both things. As I said, there seems to be no java 1.6 for my model of macbook & using TextCite 1.2 made things the same but perhaps even worse--the toolbar actually disappeared, there was nothing to the right of the TextCite tab on the top left hand side. Anything else I might do? Do you know if I may be mistaken about the java update--although software update keeps telling there is nothing else to install? Or, in the most desperate case, can I export the database to some other program?

Thanks again. Best,

Ricardo

• GentleGiant

GentleGiant - 2009-09-06

I am having this exact same problem. Haven't been able to get my citations export for over a month now. Hopefully this will change soon? I've been paying someone to type my entries and now I can't benefit for the power of the tool. Its a great tool when it works. Thanks for the hard work behind it and hopefully you won't be discouraged keeping it updated. If charging for it would make this more appealing I'd be glad to pay a small fee for updates.

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2009-09-06

Greetings GentleGiant,

I'm currently working on a revision of TextCite (1.4) which will work better under Java 1.6.  It's not easy to figure out where the problems are, because theoretically 1.5 -> 1.6 shouldn't break anything.  I'm working on it, and hopefully within a couple of weeks I should have these various issues ironed out.

Cheers,
        Erik

• Erik Norvelle

Erik Norvelle - 2009-09-06

I note that you've reported a problem that occurs under JavaSE 1.5 as well... I'll be looking into it, never fear!