Path for TeX Live in TXS (Fedora Linux)

TXS - Help
André
2014-09-09
2014-09-23
  • André

André - 2014-09-09

Hello,

I'm new in Linux and try out Fedora. There I have installed TeX Live via internet. After that I installed TeXstudio with package manager in Fedora. Now the TeX Live distribution is not found. (There is a long discussion to find out, what the problem is: http://www.mrunix.de/forums/showthread.php?76508-TeX-Live-Umgebungsvariablen-(Fedora-Linux) <- the link isn't correct shown, because the rest in brackets is part of the link)

Now my question is, how a can say TeXstudio where the correct TeX Live distribution can be found (under /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux).

Thanks for help,
    André

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2014-09-09

TeXstudio is only an editor it doesn't look for a distribution. The only thing we need to know is the location of the compiler (latex/pdflatex/xelatex binary depending on which you use). This is configured at Options -> Commands.

The compiler cares about finding the packages. You should try running it from the command line. If it has the same problems there, it's a general TeX configuration issue and not editor-related. TeX-forums like http://tex.stackexchange.com/ will provide better help for these kinds of questions.

If LaTeX works from the command line, but not from the editor, you can come back here.

• André

André - 2014-09-10

Thanks for the answer.

You wrote:

If LaTeX works from the command line, but not from the editor, you can come back here.

Exactly that is the case. LaTeX works fine from the command line. But in TXS there were no packages found. I haven't enough experience to find out what the problem is.

The discussion on mrunix.de (see my first post) offers that TXS try to use a developer version (TeX Live 2014/dev) and there are no correct pathes found ...

• Jan  Sundermeyer

Jan Sundermeyer - 2014-09-10

Then correct the found paths by hand in Options/commands

or give an additional search path in Options/Build/additional search path

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2014-09-10

Not sure if I understand the exact problem. Is it:
    1. You get an error that pdflatex is not found.
    or
    2. You get an error from pdflatex that it does not find the packages.

In case of 1., the suggestion of Jan applies.

In case of 2., it's might be a problem with the environment variables (Environment variables may differ for programs started via the command line and for programs started from the UI). You can check the variables via Help -> Check LaTeX Installation. You can also try starting texstudio from the commandline and check if that makes any difference.

• André

André - 2014-09-12
    1. You get an error from pdflatex that it does not find the packages.

That is the case. I tried out your suggestion and started TeXstudio from the command line and opened after that a tex-file -- and then it works.

Previously I have open the files per double click on a tex-file and thereupon TeXstudio has opened. Is the any way to manage this, that I can also open TeXstudio per click on a tex-file and the packages were found?

Tanks!

• Jan  Sundermeyer

Jan Sundermeyer - 2014-09-12

just publish what txs says under help/check latex installion in both cases (from commandline and via click)

• André

André - 2014-09-16

just publish what txs says under help/check latex installion in both cases (from commandline and via click)

Ok, it's attached. (Only) "via click" I get an error message -- it's also attached.

• Jan  Sundermeyer

Jan Sundermeyer - 2014-09-16

you have 2 tex installation on your computer.
    Either make sure that the correct PATH-variable is always set, (in profile.d or whereever) or select the correct commands via option/commands

• Jan  Sundermeyer

Jan Sundermeyer - 2014-09-16

and your setting for additional paths is wrong, just enter the paths ...

• André

André - 2014-09-22

I'm sure, there is only one Tex Live installation. I installed Tex Live via internet. After that I installed TeXstudio via package manager (and thereby was no new TeX Live version installed).

Either make sure that the correct PATH-variable is always set, (in profile.d or whereever)

The PATH-variable in .bashrc I think should be correct:
    PATH="/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH"
    export PATH

or select the correct commands via option/commands

That is a possibility that works -- the commands with prepend absolute pathes.

and your setting for additional paths is wrong, just enter the paths ...

The change (/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux/) has no effect.

It's crasy, when I start TXS with doubleclick on a tex-file, TXS try to use a TeX Live installation wich is not aviable and wich I never have installed.

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2014-09-22

I'm sure, there is only one Tex Live installation. I installed Tex Live via internet. >After that I installed TeXstudio via package manager (and thereby was no new TeX Live version installed).

You have /usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux/pdflatex (pdfTeX 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.15 (TeX Live 2014))
    and /usr/bin/pdflatex (pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.6-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2014/dev))

The PATH-variable in .bashrc I think should be correct:
    PATH="/usr/local/texlive/2014/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH"
    export PATH

"Shell config files such as ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, and ~/.bash_login are often suggested for setting environment variables. While this may work on Bash shells for programs started from the shell, variables set in those files are not available by default to programs started from the graphical environment in a desktop session."

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables#Session-wide_environment_variables

It's crasy, when I start TXS with doubleclick on a tex-file, TXS try to use a TeX Live installation wich is not aviable and wich I never have installed.

You can understand that by taking into account:
    1. The qoute from above.
    2. TXS just uses the PATH variable it was given.
    3. Paths specified in "Additional Search Paths" are appended to PATH

• André

André - 2014-09-23

You have [...] and /usr/bin/pdflatex (pdfTeX 3.1415926-2.6-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2014/dev))

This should be the problem -- because these TeX Live doesn't exist. "pdflatex" in /usr/bin is only a link-file and when the link is choosed (double click in file manager), nothing happens. The file is of may 2014, but I installed Fedora in september 2014. It seems, that this "phantom TeX Live version" is automatically in Fedora.

Thanks for help!