Character Count in TexStudio

TXS - Help
Klaus
2012-12-30
2013-01-01
  • Klaus

Klaus - 2012-12-30

.. I am wondering whether TexStudio supports or might support a character count function.
    I checked Tools / Analysis text but while it seems it is providing quite complex analysis functionality, it fails me at this most simple task.
    (I need to write an abstract of at most 2000 characters, so I would like to know only this size)

I checked for some help on this, but the user manual is silent there.
    - I tried with source selection instead of whole document, but the numbers do not match
    my selection.
    (e.g., if I have two lines of 136 and 345 characters, no matter what I select it tells me "characters in phrases" are 399!?)
    Well, I am now using Word to write the abstract and then copy it back into latex, as Word also
    gives me live counting at least for words:)
    but it would be useful to have this in the text analysis.. characters with /without space, and words, ideally as part of the summary info as well (where it reads line: .. ).
    I am not posting this as a feature request, as I am just not sure whether it actually already works now in some way..

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2012-12-31

(e.g., if I have two lines of 136 and 345 characters, no matter what I select it tells me "characters in phrases" are 399!?)

I think Text Analysis does not count whitespace. But I'm not really into the details of it.

It is not possible to count the output chars. However, if you don't have any tex commands in your text, it equals the number of source characters. Benito just implemented the display of the number of chars of a selection in the editor (not yet released, only in SVN).

• Klaus

Klaus - 2013-01-01

Thanks for the info. Then I am looking forward to the next version.
    However, I am surprised as (a) shifting between selection and whole text already had an impact and (b) if there is no option that includes whitespace, as wherever something with a defined length must be submitted usually whitespace is included.
    That it is not possible to count the output chars is understood.

• Benito van der Zander

(e.g., if I have two lines of 136 and 345 characters, no matter what I
    select it tells me "characters in phrases" are 399!?)
    Did you close and reopen the dialog?
    It only considers the selection that was there, when the dialog was
    opened, if the selection changes afterwards it is ignored

if there is no option that includes whitespace, as wherever something
    with a defined length must be submitted usually whitespace is included.
    I think you can assume that every word is separated by a space and that
    there are no other spaces.

Then the count with whitespace, is just the sum of "total shown phrases"
    and "characters in phrases"

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks