external viewer hotkey not working in certain environments

Nicolas
2016-10-12
4 days ago
  • Nicolas

Nicolas - 2016-10-12

I have texstudio running in certain environments and a thing that is quite annoying is that the hotkey to run the pdf in external viewer (Alt+X) is not working everywhere (tested on version 2.11.2).

• KDE5 environment with Qt 5.6./5.7 (texstudio built from HEAD): Alt+X acts as an accelerator instead and may open a random tex file,depending on the order in the project and so on
    • Windows 10 prebuilt binaries: works
    • KDE4 environment: works as expected

any hint what could be going wrong?

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2016-10-12

Where do you get the Alt+X information from? IIRC there is no such default shortcut in TXS.

Apart from that, this is likely a Qt bug: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-46812
    Please confirm if the result depends on the order of releaseing Alt and X as described in the above bug.

• Nicolas

Nicolas - 2016-10-13

I really don't know where I got that from, maybe I hit it by accident once? I have also not found a way to reconfigure it (yet), but I found it useful.

Anyway, changing order of pressing and releasing Alt does not affact this hotkey.

• Nicolas

Nicolas - 2016-10-15

Is it possible that Alt+x is working in these environments, because it is registered as an accelerator automatically (in german it is "Externer Betrachter", thus "x" is registered as an Alt accelerator automatically)?

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2016-10-18

If it has to to with automatically generated accelerators, it's likely a problem with KDE not with TXS or Qt. As far as I know, this mechanism is only implemented in KDE.

• Nicolas

Nicolas - 2016-10-18

Well, as mentrioned above, it also works in windows.

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2016-10-18

I cannot reproduce that on windows. What exactly are you doing?

• Nicolas

Nicolas - 2016-10-21

Just pressing alt-x. Now I'm confused, too. Could it be relevant that I'm txs (and windows) with german localization?

Alternatively, would it be possible to add a shortcut configuration to "launch external viewer"?

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2016-10-22

Just pressing alt-x. Now I'm confused, too. Could it be relevant that I'm txs (and windows) with german localization?
    No, I'm using the same setup.

I've added a shortcut Ctrl+Alt+X. Generally Alt+Letter can be problematic with certain localizations and we try to avoid these. Like all shortcuts in the pdf viewer, this one is not configurable. This would require a number of internal changes to the viewer, for which we don't have the time.

hg 6241 (73c0d6d94c34)

• Jean-Christophe Imbert

Answering such an old message seems like archeology but I would like to disable the Ctrl+Alt+X shortcut because it is conflicting with AltGr+X which produces the closing brace on my keymap.

I've disabled almost every Ctrl+Alt shortcuts because of similar conflicts but I can't find this one in the settings.

Any idea?

Last edit: Jean-Christophe Imbert 4 days ago
  • Jan  Sundermeyer

Jan Sundermeyer - 4 days ago

pdf viewer shortcuts will be changeable in future versions, <=2.12.2 does not allow that.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks