Using Biber: Specification mandate value for attribute ord...

Eyzel
2013-10-19
2015-03-10
  • Eyzel

Eyzel - 2013-10-19

Biber works great when called with the bibliography command directly (after a single compile). But when I use Biber automatically before a TeX compilation (with the option "check and update bibliography before compiling" checked) Biber fails:

Process started: biber.exe "article"

Process started: pdflatex.exe -synctex=1 -interaction=nonstopmode "article".tex

Entity: line 1963: parser error : Specification mandate value for attribute ord <bcf:citekey ord ^ Entity: line 1963: parser error : attributes construct error <bcf:citekey ord ^ Entity: line 1963: parser error : Couldn't find end of Start Tag citekey <bcf:citekey ord ^

INFO - This is Biber 1.7
    INFO - Logfile is 'article.blg'
    INFO - Reading 'article.bcf'

Process exited with error(s)

What's going on?

Last edit: Eyzel 2013-11-02
  • Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2013-10-27

Can you please provide a minimal working example (tex and bib file)?

• Eyzel

Eyzel - 2013-11-01

I didn't quite track it down to provide a minimum working example yet for my large document. However, a really standard use of Biblatex with Biber already generates an assertion warning in Biber, when called while the option "check and update bibliography before compiling" is checked:

assertion failed: open my_perl assertion failed: MZ magic bytes assertion failed: PE header assertion failed: IMAGE_NT_OPTIONAL_HDR_MAGIC

This is the file; it's as normal as it gets:

\documentclass{article}
    \usepackage[backend=biber]{biblatex}
    \addbibresource{bibliography.bib}

\begin{document}
    \cite{bibtexentry}
    %\printbibliography
    \end{document}

Note that I don't even have to use the \printbibliography statement, as even without putting the bibliography in it triggers the assertion notification.

With bibtex file bibliography.bib:

@article{bibtexentry,
      author = {author},
      title = {title},
      journal = {journaltitle},
      year = {2013}
      }

So maybe you can solve that first if you can reproduce it and the real error I get in my first post might also vanish?

I'm still using the latest TXS: now version 2.6.6, with updated 32 bit MikTeX 2.9 on Windows.

NB: Remember to remove all auxiliary files before running it. It doesn't give the warning when you trigger Biber by modifying the .bib file, only on a 'clean' run!
    NB2: For some reason, when using LuaTeX it doesn't have the problem!

Last edit: Eyzel 2013-11-02
  • Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2015-03-10

Remark: Works here with TXS 2.9.0 and MikTeX 2.9 (biber 1.9).

Last edit: Tim Hoffmann 2015-03-10

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks