call texstudio from command line on Mac

2016-08-27
2016-08-28
  • Geoff Vallis

Geoff Vallis - 2016-08-27

Hello,

I guess I'm missing something obvious here, but how do you call texstudio from the command line on a Mac? One would like to be able to open a particular file at a particular line. Aside from its intrinsic usefulness, I can't see how one can use an external PDF viewer without this, since one can't sync back to the source. I might have thought that
    /Applications/texstudio.app/Contents/MacOS/texstudio would work, but it does not (at least for me).

Geoff

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2016-08-27

That's supposed to work. Note that TeXstudio is designed as a single app; i.e. if one instance is running, the command will not create a new window but propagate the arguments (i.e. opening a file) to the existing instance and then exit.

Does this output a list of possible command arguments?
    /Applications/texstudio.app/Contents/MacOS/texstudio --help

• Geoff Vallis

Geoff Vallis - 2016-08-27

Ah - I think perhaps I was calling it with the app already open. It now sort of works, except it gives me a bunch of error messages:
    srcv2:->> /Applications/texstudio.app/Contents/MacOS/texstudio
    level change 0
    level change 1
    level change 2
    level change 5
    level change 6
    "Error: failed to look up (2d)"
    "Error: failed to look up (2e)"
    etc

If I append --help, it works as expected. Also, it doesn't fork it into the background. So if I kill the job in the terminal, the app dies.

• Tim Hoffmann

Tim Hoffmann - 2016-08-28

You can ignore the "level change" messages. These are just some debug output and will be removed in future versions.

Not sure what the lookup fail is about.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks