Menu

Re-running entire testplan?

Help
2013-01-10
2013-04-21
  • Michael Schnick

Michael Schnick - 2013-01-10

Hi,

I fear that I'm missing some basic feature. I guess I'm just too blind to find it.

I'd like to be able to re-run an entire test plan:
    I create a test plan by selecting a bunch of test cases
    I run the tests today
    * After a few months / weeks, I need to re-run the same test plan on a new version/build of the software. Therefore, I'd like to start with an entirely new set of untested test cases.

For now, when I re-visit the test plan, I see the last test results.

I can create a new test plan, but then I have to select the whole subset of tests again.

Is this really the intended way of working?
    A test plan can only be executed once?

Thanks
    Michael

• Roberto Longobardi

Ciao Michael,
    actually there's no such funcitonality in Test Manager.

It may be easily implemented by means of a button, in the Test Plan page, which would reset all test cases status in the plan to "to be tested".

The button label may be "Reset Test Plan status".

It may also clear every test case status change history, or not... what would you suggest?

Ciao,
    Roberto

• Christian

Christian - 2013-01-16

Maybe I'm wrong, but i think he wants to keep the old test plan and just want to run a new copy of this test plan.

This would be my desired behavior.

So maybe you could clone the test plan before you clear status, history, custom properties, ..

Christian

• Michael Schnick

Michael Schnick - 2013-01-17

Hi,

yes, Christian, you're right. The "cloning" idea describes nicely what I'd like to achieve.
    I'd like to have a plain clone of the test plan, with all it's tests set to status "to be tested". I'd like to be able to modify the name of the test plan, so that it does not state "v1.0 test plan (copy)" , but what I want it to say, e.g. "v1.2 test plan"

Thanks
    Michael

• Daniel

Daniel - 2013-02-13

Hi,

I second the idea of cloning the test plan to re-run it.
    This way we have a history of test plan executions.

Daniel

• Roberto Longobardi

Implemented in 1.6.1.
    Enjoy the new release :D