Please find enclosed minutes from the SIG meeting in Victoria i
June. Comments are welcome, including corrections from the people
present at the meating.
Notes from the third TEI Ontologies SIG meeting
The meeting was held in Sofia on the morning of October 28, 2005. Six
persons were participating.
With reference to the last meeting in Victoria, there was a discussion
about the scope of the SIG. We have not been able to make any precise
definition, and will have to do with the more practical description of
our scope as "elements such as persons, places, dates and events".
The SIG agreed that the example presented at the first day of the TEI
meeting by Conal Tuohy at the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre is a
good example of the type of work interesting for this SIG.
The group discussed whether we should propose a generalized event
element in TEI, similar to the name element. We did not conclude on
this, but it should be further discussed.
We also discussed different ways to connect a TEI document to
ontological information. A TEI document can contain the ontology,
either as reference or included. We will work further on examining
practical implementations of such connections.
Plans for 2006
We feel that we should now be able to do practical work to see how the
ideas discussed in the SIG will work in practical implementation. The
conveners will work on this, and will publish results, both on the SIG
list an WIKI, and through other channels.
It was also interest in exploring ways to include Topic Maps in the
The conveners will publish examples of our work on the WIKI, as will
the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre. We hope this can lead on to a
best practice document.
The SIG will probably have a meeting at the Digital Humanities
conference in Paris in 2006.
2005-12-09 Øyvind Eide
Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.