Help with customization for simple topic tagg

Help
2007-06-05
2013-03-13
  • Swami Kevala

Swami Kevala - 2007-06-05

Hello,

I am working on a project to transcribe over 2000 audio recordings of an Indian spiritual
    master. Marking up the documents using TEI looks like the most suitable approach.
    However, there's a few things that I need some advice with.

We are primarily interested in tagging arbitrary blocks of text with keywords from a
    (flat) controlled vocabulary of around 250 terms representing different topics (e.g.
    death, love, war... etc). I have looked at the guidelines for the various methods
    outlined for doing this - in particular the <interp> element in conjunction with the
    <link> element, but these structures seem to be a little too complex to implement for us.

We do not have the resources to develop our own search and retrieval tool, so I thought
    we would use Xaira. But Xaira doesn't have the functionality to retrieve text that has
    been keyworded in this manner (or allow searching multiple space-delimited attribute values). Hence I thought that the most practical solution would be
    to add some custom elements to the <ab> element which will allow us to directly connect
    this metadata, so that it would also be easily retrievable using Xaira (also it would be
    simpler for non-techie users).

I have read the full guidelines but I'm still a little unsure of the best way to go about
    this, so I was hoping that somebody experienced could give me some pointers. These are
    the types of things we want to identify in the text:

general subject matter (in depth treatment, and surface treatment)
    jokes
    stories
    questions (i.e somebody else asks a question, and then he answers it)

we want to associate zero or more keywords with any of the above, and also a mandatory
    'title' for any of the latter three e.g. "What's the meaning of life?"
    I want to maintain the list of keywords in a separate document, so that non-schema savvy
    people can add new keywords to the list. I would also like to have the titles for each
    text type as enumerated lists in the same way.

I would like to achieve this customization in the 'cleanest' possible way, so if anybody
    had any ideas about the best way to implement this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Swami Kevala

• Lou Burnard

Lou Burnard - 2009-10-05

Apologies for the absence of a reply to this query for so long. This SF forum was not being monitored (usually we expect queries like this on the main tei-l list) 

Are you still interested in using TEI in this way? The short answer is to use &lt;interp&gt; which is really not quite as complex as it may appear… and we'd be happy to discuss that further.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks