Planning a release

LS Ploeger
2015-09-23
2015-11-30
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-09-23

Hi all,

Paul Baker and I are planning a release of the latest version of TDbf. We fixed a couple of bugs and Paul added extra functionality. Only Micha Nelissen appears to have the credentials to maintain this project, I also asked Nashev about ways to update the files and the webpages at http://tdbf.sourceforge.net/. Nashev replied that he would contact Micha Nelissen, but there is no news yet. Does anyone by any chance have more information about this issue? Or are there ideas about proceeding with this project? Apparently, SourceForge's point of view is to start a completely new project for abandoned projects (https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Abandoned%20Projects/), but this is far from optimal. Please let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Lennert.

• Paul Baker

Paul Baker - 2015-09-23

Is there anyone besides Micha who might have access to do these things? I would hate to see this project become abandoned. This project still has value, but there has not been a release for about 9 years. We already have at least half a dozen unecessary forks, most prominently one for the Free Pascal project. I'd like to find a way to make a release that does not split up the project even further.

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-09-23

Hi Nashev,

Would it be possible to upgrade Paul and me as administrators as well? This way, we would be able to upload new ZIP files and proceed with releasing the latest version of TDbf (7.0.0). Otherwise we would have to contact you about each and every minor detail related to the release.

Please let us know what you think.

Best regards,

Lennert.

• Ivar Suneson

Ivar Suneson - 2015-09-23

Hello,

I am impressed by all the work you put into TDBF. Thank you.
      I like to use TDBF with Embarcadero XE7 C++ Builder.
      The latest version for download is 6.91
      Can anyone please tell me where I can download TDBF that will work with XE7?

Regards

Ivar Suneson
      ivar@iware.se mailto:ivar@iware.se

Från: LS Ploeger [mailto:lploeger@users.sf.net]
      Skickat: den 23 september 2015 22:00
      Till: [tdbf:discussion]
      Ämne: [tdbf:discussion] Planning a release

Hi Nashev,

Would it be possible to upgrade Paul and me as administrators as well? This
      way, we would be able to upload new ZIP files and proceed with releasing the
      latest version of TDbf (7.0.0). Otherwise we would have to contact you about
      each and every minor detail related to the release.

Please let us know what you think.

Best regards,

Lennert.

Planning a release
      https://sourceforge.net/p/tdbf/discussion/107245/thread/ea0c9007/?limit=50# f963

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/tdbf/discussion/107245/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Nashev

Nashev - 2015-10-05

I feel some responsibility about this project, and now I'm prefer publish news and upload release files by my hand.

But as I see dialog with Peter Guth below, sources are not completly ready yet.

Also I see, there are no packages for Delphi 10 Seattle in SVN, and I'm not shure about actuality of https://sourceforge.net/p/tdbf/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/doc/todo.txt, etc.

Another one thing: It will be nice, if some one make some demo and test app with sample datasets for demonstrate newly created features. Is it complicated work? May be some of You already have some small standalone test apps?

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-09-24

Hi Ivar,

The latest version in the trunk should support XE7. You can checkout this version using e.g. TortoiseSVN, see https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/svn/.

Best regards,

Lennert.

• Peter Guth

Peter Guth - 2015-09-24

This compiles in XE10, in you copy the XE8 section in dbf_common.inc:

{$ifdef VER300} // Delphi XE8
    {$define DELPHI_XE8}
    {$define DELPHI_XE7}
    {$define DELPHI_XE6}
    {$define DELPHI_XE5}
    {$define DELPHI_XE4}
    {$define DELPHI_XE3}
    {$define DELPHI_XE2}
    {$define DELPHI_XE}
    {$define DELPHI_2010}
    {$define DELPHI_2009}
    {$define DELPHI_2007}
    {$define DELPHI_2006}
    {$define DELPHI_2005}
    {$define DELPHI_8}
    {$define DELPHI_7}
    {$define DELPHI_6}
    {$define DELPHI_5}
    {$define DELPHI_4}
    {$define DELPHI_3}
    {$endif}

I still have one issue, and that is the RecordCount does not show the number of records if you filter the table, but continues to show the total number of records in the database. I think I have had that issue since Delphi went to Unicode. Otherwise, this works great from the testing I have done.

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-09-25

For the number of filtered records the function ExactRecordCount was added, if I am not mistaken.

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-09-25

I just uploaded the code to detect Delphi 10 Seattle (detects VER300)

• Paul Baker

Paul Baker - 2015-09-25

Peter,

Lennert is correct. Specifically...

If no index is active, RecordCount is the total number of records, including records that would be excluded by filtering or because they are deleted.

If an index is active, RecordCount is the total number of index entries, which is usually the same.

ExactRecordCount is the number of records included, which is potentially slow to evaluate.

• Peter Guth

Peter Guth - 2015-09-27

Lennert and Paul,
    Thank you both. I tried using ExactRecordCount, but got an Abstract error (this is in Delphi 10, 64 bit Windows), so I will have to keep experimenting.

Looking at the code, I had been doing essentially the same thing (but not checking for deleted records), and had also found it to be very slow when the database size started getting large.

Peter

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-09-28

Hi Peter,

Thank you for testing the code. Indeed, I could reproduce the problem with ExactRecordCount. The problem can be resolved by applying a TDbfRecBuf cast in TDbf.GetExactRecordCount:

getRes := GetRecord(TDbfRecBuf(FTempBuffer), gmNext, true);

instead of
    getRes := GetRecord(FTempBuffer, gmNext, true);

I tested this on XE2/XE8 and Delphi 10. The code is now available on SVN.

Best regards,

Lennert.

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-10-07

Hi Nashev,

Thank you for your response. Good to hear that you feel responsible!

Shall we come up with a checklist of actions to take for the release? It will include building the ZIP files, documenting the changes etc.

The problem Peter Guth was referring to has been resolved and I just uploaded the packages for Delphi 10 Seattle. I don't know what the status is of the items in todo.txt. Since this file was not updated in more than 2 years, I would expect that most urgent issues are resolved by now.

Can you please contact Paul and me how to proceed?

Best regards,

Lennert.

• Nashev

Nashev - 2015-11-04

I see some commits, and like it.
      I'm waiting a reply here with a text for release news and attached files for check and publish it

• Paul Baker

Paul Baker - 2015-11-07

Hi Nashev,

When Lennert and I looked at the demo and documentation, as you asked, we found some minor issues that we wanted to fix. Some have probably been there for years.

The only thing we have left to do for the release of version 7.0 is to update the demo and documentation with new features. This should be complete by next week.

We will send you archive files and release notes text soon. Do you have a preferred way to get the files to you?

I forgot to respond to your comments about todo.txt and Delphi 10 Seattle packages. I agree that not everything in todo.txt is actually still needed, some items might be needed. We will have to review it, and either fix the items or document what is needed more clearly. Items to do can go in todo.txt or (I prefer) as a ticket. I would suggest that we look at these things after version 7.0 is released.

Paul

• Nashev

Nashev - 2015-11-08

Very good.
      Preferred way is attachments here, in this topic.

• Nashev

Nashev - 2015-11-30

test

• Paul Baker

Paul Baker - 2015-11-09

Nashev,

I attach the files for the release of TDbf 7.0.

There are about 150 lines in the history.txt describing changes, but we came up with this summary for the release notes to go in the announcements.

See history.txt for full details

New features
    - add support for file sizes over 2 GB
    - add SetKey, GotoKey, GotoNearest and GotoCommon functions to offer more search options
    - add CompareKeys function to compare index keys
    - add BatchMove method, implement bmAppend and bmCopy
    - add OnIndexInvalid event
    - add DeleteMdxFile method
    - add OnProgress event
    - add functions to parser: Abs, Asc, Ceil, Ceiling, Chr, CDOW, Date, Day, Empty, IIF, Len, LTrim, Month, Proper, RecNo, Right, Round, RTrim, SoundEx, Trim, Val, Year
    - make third parameter optional in SubStr()
    - add support for new uses of + and - operators
    - add support for null values to the parser
    - include deleted records in distinct index for compatibility

Improvements
    - improve robustness of indexes
    - improve robustness of error handling opening a table
    - improve support for sharing and locking
    - improve support for index key types and expressions
    - improve support for memo
    - improve numeric field value translation
    - improve performance when table is exclusive or write locked
    - improve performance of both random and sequential access using a dynamic read-ahead buffer
    - improve performance of building an index using bulk-loading

Bug fixes
    - general bug fixes
    - fix compatibility with older Delphi versions and Free Pascal
    - fix index bugs
    - fix parser bugs, including heap corruption
    - fix bugs copying data
    - add missing error message translations

• Bernhard

Bernhard - 2015-11-22

Hello,

How to install tdbf7.0.0 (from zip) on Delphi 10 Seattle?

The install.txt does not seem appropriate anymore because no more design and runtime packages. When I tried to install I got an error saying that I had to specify a host application.
      What to do?

Thanks

• Paul Baker

Paul Baker - 2015-11-23

There are design and runtime packages for every compiler version, but it looks like we need to update doc/INSTALL or possibly rename some files.

While I research a definitive answer, did you try installing dcltdbf.dproj in the IDE?

• Nashev

Nashev - 2015-11-26

Thanks. I've downloaded this files, updated it by SVN to 7.0.1 and uploaded to https://sourceforge.net/projects/tdbf/files/TDbf%20Win32_Linux/ in staged mode. When I try to make anoncement in https://sourceforge.net/p/tdbf/news/, I've understand I have not an introductionary text for news like "We are glad to anounce version 7.0.1 after long time, thanks to hard work of .... (here list of You, peoples)" and so on to make this text as nice news.

And I think there are must be link to https://sourceforge.net/p/tdbf/code/637/tree/trunk/doc/history.txt and https://sourceforge.net/projects/tdbf/files/TDbf%20Win32_Linux/TDbf%207.0.1/

Could You plese write some introduction like this in pure English?

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-11-30

Here is a proposal for the text written by Paul:

"We are glad to finally announce the release of version 7.0.0, thanks to the hard work of paulenandrew, ploeger and others. It includes many new features, improvements and bug fixes".

• Nashev

Nashev - 2015-11-30

Ready
          Thanks all!

• LS Ploeger

LS Ploeger - 2015-11-10

Great! My compliments for all the hard work!

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)