"Page flipping" / displaying "half pages"

Help
cpw
2014-12-05
2014-12-05
  • cpw

cpw - 2014-12-05

Hi,

I have a more or less a general question about PDF, respectively the way a PDF is displayed in e.g. Adobe Reader - it's a bit tricky to describe and I can't find anything on that topic, mainly because I don't really know what to search for and/or use the wrong terms, so I'll try my best to explain:

I've noticed there are two different kinds of "viewing/scrolling modes" for a PDF consisting of multiple pages:

1. When you scroll down, it's kind of a "perpetual" scrolling - when you've reached the end of a page, you see the beginning of the next page, so you have kind of a "page flow". If you zoom out, multiple pages are shown among each other at once.

2. When you scroll down, only the page you're on right now is scrolled, if you reach the bottom of that page only the next page is shown, so you only see one page at a time. If you zoom out, there's also only one page shown.

As I've seen both of this with different documents in Adobe Reader (without changing any settings in AR at all), I believe this is somehow a setting in the PDF file?

What are these two "modes" called and can this behaviour somehow be controlled?

Thanks!

• cpw

cpw - 2014-12-05

Aaaah, so it's "SinglePage" and "OneColumn" in $layout - that's it, thank you very much!