Menu

A question about the legalities of Taksi

2010-06-24
2013-06-03
  • Nobody/Anonymous

My question is, is Taksi legal in it's use of codecs? I mean it uses codecs like DivX, MP4, etc.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I cant give legal advise. The law is way to complex, contradicting and illogical for me.
    in general i have assumed that if there is a dll on your system that uses published api's then it is legal to make calls to that api. so as long as the dll is legally loaded on your machine. i.e. it was supplied with your operating system. I dont see any reason you cant use it. but i'm no lawyer. there are lots of laws that defy the obvious assumption.
    Also If some codec came packaged with its own legal agreement and you agreed to it then it would apply to how you might use it.
    What you record and how you distribute it is yet another matter.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Do you know anybody that could help with this?

• Nobody/Anonymous

my suggestion is find the maker of the codec you are worried about and contact them directly. If they say its illegal to use a published API. I'd love to know why they would use a public and published API in the first place.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Media coder uses published APIs, as dose virtual dub both free were.

• Nobody/Anonymous

May I ask what you mean by "published APIs"?

• Nobody/Anonymous

a DirectShow Filter plugin or the older Video For Windows codec plugin. Both are standard API's published by microsoft. IF you didnt want others to use your codec you would just use some made up api or at least not register it with the OS.

• Nobody/Anonymous

So using a DirectShow Filter plugin or a VFW codec plugin is legal?

• Nobody/Anonymous

you're thinking of 'what you copy', not 'how you encode it'

for example, divx or avi compression of a tv show you don't own, yeah they shoot at you

but, if you divx compress another video you do own, it should be legal….no video file storage format is illegal, but content can be, either censored content like uh, textfiles.com , or uh, there's was a no crack style, was uh, divx codec on dvds or osmethin, yeah you can't decode or write standard video dvds legally perhaps

is easy too, oss does it, mostly uh…don't sell videos that you pirate ?

so if you download all the movies, and sell them for $3 each on dvds, yeah you might get in a lotta trouble then….

but also, uh, the nasa movies are ok, and this one is neat , i was using fraps then another one, but yeah maybe back to fraps for the 3d vision….but this one looks neat too….+source a +, not workin yet….uh…gonna use that 'copy' button on fraps again ;p

anyone know if you can just 'memcpy(const_scrn, myArrayOfInt32s) ; ?
    using specicirally, that uh, is it literally one x86 command ?

it 's in the gun linux codd….uh gnu you know, like you knew or subtle for gun…anyawys back to 3d playin, got bright++ so yeah a + :) i liked another one too….

how about some sharing and editing options ? perhaps mix in other gpl code too, like uh, gpl video editor, and maybe like a p2p mix n review of 'gpl videos'

gpl audio library, p2p or etc perhaps, i like havin models for my code maybe….

also on my youtube.com/aersixb9, i did some stuff with C#, with uh, fraps clone running, was neat, maybe even compress hard via connecting to 3d card driver, save x,y,z etc, then rerender later…

or text fonts perahps, but yeah seems good enoguh….not tooo easy to use, maybe app

• Nobody/Anonymous

hook be easier, with adding an icon that's maybe more novice friednly, textual, and yeah uh, text ok too

maybe popup controls on a single key

that one i did after fraps was really user friendly , but i think i should hit that 3d movie market yeah, i got 3d vision….it's pretty cool , now is brighter, some bugs and nobody will chat with me about it :( what's the 3d sync in?

oh well l4d2 works ok, players glitchy, ai stupid,… any 3d vision open source stuff ? maybe i go raid gnu again, or poke at my little naked gdi guy in code too, turn based mario ? update not loop, is button a w lol , slow mo think more, test eaaseir, then later, can add 'mode 2' real time loopin, naked judo guy :) 1v1, but smaller than street fighter, more movin, but yeah first try #1 maybe fast maybe not, probably code open too, code on youtube now so far :)