Menu

Synedit on Kylix

Anonymous
2001-08-09
2001-09-13
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2001-08-09

As mentioned on the summary page, SynEdit would be fairly easy to port to Kylix. Well, Kylix is available, even for free (if you licence your programs under the GPL, go to www.borland.com/kylix or something). Last night I took a look on how it would be to port it. It's easy, but time consuming. Basicly, the thing to do is to change all uses-clause to include {$IFDEF MSWINDOWS}Something{$ENDIF}{$IFDEF LINUX}QSomething{$ENDIF}. And then go trough the code and change all Menu.Something to QMenu.Something. That's about it. There are some registry code (code that talks to the Windows registry) in some of the files, that have to be rewritten, since Linux does not have any registry.

Anyway, I started something wich could be a port, but it's very beta. I'm lazy, and only commented out code that wouldn't work. I'm not done with it (it won't compile). If (or when) it gets finished, I might submit it here. But some people won't call the crap I write Pascal, so it won't be of high quality.

There seem to be few posts here (none actually). Maybe I'm on the wrong place, and this is not the SynEdit homepage. But if some of the maintainers accidently should drop by here and read this post, feedback would be greatly appriciated.

Lastly, I would like to thank for a great component (the best?) to the Delphi/Kylix community. It's hard to believe something this good is open-source (-8

Sincerly,
    Berge S. Bjrlo

• Siegfried Wessler

Sounds great. And the Components do either.
      But as Delphi 6 gives you the opportunity to use VCL or CLX, to me it's the only way to use CLX when I want to port to Linux/Kylix.

So when will SynEdit be available for Delphi6-CLX? I would even try to do it myself, but that looks a bit heavy for me ;-) since my boss doesn't give me that much time for the tiny project I would like to use SynEdit for.

Actually I am only looking for a way to get colored text in a TMemo.

Feel free to reply directly to me also: siegfried.wessler@hbm.com

Thank You!
      Siegfried.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2001-09-13

I dunno about Delphi 6. Delphi 6 costs .. well, money. I tend to only get myself the free versions (right now I'm on Delphi 4, wich came with a computer magazine). And I found that the porting-project was a bit ambious.. I can't do it, not within a decent amout of time..

But for the coloured text in a TMemo, that's easy. I onced used a component named ColorMemo 2. It's just a hack into the source of TMemo to produce color coding. Works okay. Don't have an URL here, but you'll probarbly find it at www.torry.ru. (-8 It's closed source, though (you only download the .dcu), so I can't get it to work on Kylix )-8

But for my project I need something more than ColorMemo.. Well, well, something'll show up.

Take care,
        Berge S. Bjrlo