Menu

DvID.DAT file still does not work

2012-10-02
2023-03-15
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • hornybirder

hornybirder - 2012-10-02

I have a NW-E405, 3rd generation. I used the Sony Mp3 File Manager to generate the DvID.DAT file, but when I use JSymphonic to import files, they are all there on the player, but when I try to listen to them the player says MG ERROR! I thought that I had done what the JSymphonic documentation says, but I cannot get it to work.
    Any ideas??

• Skiron

Skiron - 2015-09-04

Please, double check that the DvID.dat file is correctly recognized by JSymphonic (i.e. check its location).

Can you provide a log ?

• James Griffin

James Griffin - 2018-03-20

Hi @Skiron,

Hope you are still around and well. I found my very old NW-HD3 and wanted to make use of it. I can't seem to find your original FAQ for the generation of a key file. Any chance you could repost or point in the right direction? The software works great to put tracks onto the device but of course they cannot play because of the DRM and ecryption requirements on the Gen 3 devices.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

• James Griffin

Last edit: James Griffin 2018-03-20
  • James Griffin

Wanted to post here just in case found some of the FAQ on the WayBackMachine:

5) What is that "DvID.dat" file JSymphonic ask for ?
    My walkman is from 3rd generation, but after transfering music with JSymphonic, the songs (which are well shown) are not playable (I get a "MG error")
    Third generation models can only read MP3 files which are encrypted according to their own key. Each model has its own encryption key. So far, JSymphonic is not able to guess this key, that's the reason why it asks for the "DvID.dat" file which contains the key.
    This "DvID.dat" file is generated when one uses the Sony's MP3 File Manager. One MP3 file needs to transfered with the File Manager to make it generate the "DvID.dat" file.
    Once the "DvID.dat" file is present on the player, there is no need to use the File Manager ever.

The file "DvID.dat" file can be called "DvID.dat" or "DvID.DAT" (JSymphonic is case sensitive so be careful). It can be placed into :
    the MP3FM folder (WALKMAN ROOT/MP3FM/DvID.DAT, it is the default path, where the File Manager generates it),
    the root of the player (WALKMAN ROOT/DvID.DAT),
    the OMGAUDIO folder (WALKMAN ROOT/OMGAUDIO/DvID.DAT).

It has been most people's experience that you will need to use Windows XP or earlier to install MP3FM on your player/computer. This may be annoying to some, however since JSymphonic only needs this one file, and all the files are installed directly on your player anyway, you only need to borrow someone's Windows machine to download and install Sony's MP3 File Manager.

I'm still digging.

Cheers,

• Aupeix Alain

Aupeix Alain - 2020-08-02

Hi,
    I have found an old NW-E405 of my daughter, and I tried to use it. As I haven't the original cd of SonyStage or MP3FileManager and I use Lunix, I tried to use JSymphonic.

It works to transfert (import or export), but I have not the fife DvID.dat corresponding to my Walkman, and the player gives me some error : HOLD, CANNOT PLAY, and MP ERROR

As I'm apparently not able to generate it, does somebody having the same plaer can generate and send me this file ?

Thanks
    A+

• Tomescu Dragos

Tomescu Dragos - 2020-08-05

i had the same problem and managed to make it work on old win xp dell and generated the files if u want the dvid.dat give me email and il send it.

• Aupeix Alain

Aupeix Alain - 2020-08-05

<meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type">

Le 05/08/2020 à 20:06, Tomescu Dragos a
        écrit :

<meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="content-type">

i had the same problem and managed to make it work on old win
        xp dell and generated the files if u want the dvid.dat give me
        email and il send it.

Great, I will be very happy if you send me this file.

Hope it will work .

Thanks

A+

--

Alain Aupeix

Sites web : JujuLand | Pissobi-Lacassagne
        |
        Gadel

X.ubuntu 16.04 [ H.arbour 3.2.0dev (r2020-04-20 13:01) |
        Hw.gui 2.22-4 (r2848) | G.ramps 5.1.2

• Tomescu Dragos

Tomescu Dragos - 2020-08-06

give a email adress where i can send

• Aupeix Alain

Aupeix Alain - 2020-08-06

<meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type">

Le 06/08/2020 à 10:21, Tomescu Dragos a
      écrit :

<meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="content-type">

give a email adress where i can send

Sorry, I thought that my mail was in my signature

alain [dot] aupeix @ wanadoo [dot] fr

Thanks

A+
      --

Alain Aupeix

Sites web : JujuLand | Pissobi-Lacassagne
      |
      Gadel

X.ubuntu 16.04 [ H.arbour 3.2.0dev (r2020-04-20 13:01) |
      Hw.gui 2.22-4 (r2848) | G.ramps 5.1.2

• Aupeix Alain

Hi, I tried your version of MP3FM, and it doesn't work. I had already the same version I downloaded there are a few days.The program isn't able to find the player.

I tried your DVid.dat with JSymphonic (I put iin the same folder than JSymphonic), but when trying to play what I put on the player, I have the message HOLD ...

I read that your player is a MW E505, and mine is MW E405

So, probably the reason why it fails.

If somebody has DVid.dat for MW E405, i will be happy ...

Thanks for your efforts !!!
    A+

• Aupeix Alain

you should try on a pc that have win xp or older windows. when i try first time on win 7 i could not even install mp3filemanager. The program is downloaded from sony website. I have a small collection of walkmans from sony and only way to transfer music on them was from a pc with win xp.

I have no more Windows, all my computers are under Xubuntu, but under Xubuntu I have installed mp3filemanager without problem, but when I launch it, it doesn't found the player.

JSymphonic founds the player. The first time I tried it, it complains about the missing DVid.dat, and bypassing that problem, it transferts correctly to the player, but without encoding it, and then the player can't play it and give the message HOLD ou CANNOT PLAY.

So I think, if JSymphonic is really able to encode files, that the problem comes from an uncompatable DVid.dat ...
    A+

• ConroyX

ConroyX - 2022-10-11

I got the same problem with a missing DVid.dat on my Sony NW-S203 . Windows is just able to recognise it. Nothing more. Someone for a solution ?

• ConroyX

ConroyX - 2022-10-12

thanx Tomescu Dragos, it works

• Aupeix Alain

Aupeix Alain - 2022-10-12

Hi, I have tried this version of DvID.dat with my MW E405, and it doesn't complain that the file is missing, but When I try to import a music, if the database is updated,j the plyer indicate a size of 00:00
    To do this, I put the file in jsymphonic. Is-it the good way to import ?
    Where do I fail ?

Thanks
    A+

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)