Menu

OGGPlay Buttons

OMOIKANE
2006-11-15
2013-04-25
  • OMOIKANE

OMOIKANE - 2006-11-15

Is it possible to make a handsfree buttons support?
    Player is useless w/o that.
    Nokia 3250.
    Thank You.

• OMOIKANE

OMOIKANE - 2006-11-27

Yep. It's not impossible. LCG Jukebox support handsfree buttons on 3250.

• Gabriel Abejon

Gabriel Abejon - 2006-11-28

1st off this program isn't useless without handsfree support, it is quite simply the best free ogg player for symbian out there.  However it could be *more* useful with handsfree support. 

I have a nokia N80 with the supplied HS-23 headphones and would like to do anything to help this project out.  Please contact me at my SF email if you'd like me to beta test with this headset (or any other S60v3 feature for that matter).  Perhaps a quick program to grab key input and display it so oggplay would know what to watch for in the hotkeys submenu?

I also have some questions about battery life with oggplay, it seems that even without the db gain option turned on the battery takes  a major hit compared with the bundled music player.  Is ogg that much harder to decode (not likely) or is symbian saving the nice compilers for their official parteners?

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2007-05-16

I also have some questions about battery life with oggplay, it seems that even without the db gain option turned on the battery takes a major hit compared with the bundled music player. Is ogg that much harder to decode (not likely) or is symbian saving the nice compilers for their official parteners?

It's mainly because the built in players use the DSP which is likely to be much more power efficient than the main ARM core. It's also because the code probably isn't as well optimised as it should be. See my comments on the DSP thread about this. Official partners are probably the only ones who can use the DSP.

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2007-05-16

...and yes we use the free GCC compiler but Symbian partners almost certainly use the compiler provided by ARM (which probably generates faster and more efficient code than GCC)