Menu

Symbian Fonts for Windows needed

2006-07-03
2013-04-25
  • Kiriakos Bobotis / MemphisX

Ok I really need sonme help here from the developers and generally from everyone who has enough experience on symbian developing. I develop a windows program that will create skins for oggplay. The problem I have is the fonts. I need to find fonts for windows that correspont to the symbian fonts (eg LatinBold13 or latinPlain12) so that they will have the same size n look when designing skins. I'd really appreciate any help here.

(I know that I could post this question on another site more oriented to symbian programming, but that is the first place coming to my mind)

• liquidcircuit

liquidcircuit - 2006-07-09

you may be able to get some details at www.symbian-freak.com.

Keep in mind that it is possible to change the fonts for S60 phones, which alters the font in OggPlay of course.  If you could use the .gdr format fonts directly in the Skin Creator, that would be ideal (and probably exceedingly difficult).

Well you actually tell me how to create gdr fonts out of windows truetype fonts. I want the oposite. Have the gdr files from eg. Siemens SX1 and convert them to truetype fonts so I can use them to my program. The reason is to have the same look in my M$ windows application as in the phone...

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2006-07-18

I think the way forward is for new skins to always supply their own fonts. There are plenty of freeware true type fonts out there that people can use.

The problem with using "standard fonts" is that they are not present on every phone. For example, AFAIK none of the new S60 V3 phones have LatinPlain12 on them so all the skins will have to be updated anyway.

I'd suggest that you just try to find a font that is a close match for the Latin12. If you can't I'd forget about the old skins for now and design some new skins with new fonts...

Thanks for the info Stuart but there was always a problem with custom fonts and that was their incompatibility with other non English Language character sets (eg Greek).

Let me remind you that the work is about a program for developing skins and not a new skin. And I know that there are differences between phones but the program will take care of it. Will have a diffrent list of fonts depending on the device u use (series60 ver.1, vers2 with double resolution, version 3 or s80 on the plans for later on to develop). After all the differences will not only be in the fonts between devices but even in the sis file (different sis packing routine for ver 3 devices).

I allready have tried things but there are some bold fonts by their nature which make the whole thing more difficult, especially when I have to meke the bold...more bold. If it's impossible to find the fonts then it would be a great help to me to know at least the max height used by each font. Also if you have any info for differences between the fonts of series60 ver1&2 and series60 ver2 with double resolution, it will be of much help. If the looks cannot be the same I can try at least to use fonts with the same height wich is the most important thing so the user won't have to set it manually...

PS:The project was paused cause I was sick for some time and still am a little, but is not canceled...

• Szymon Kosecki

Szymon Kosecki - 2006-07-25

If you are looking for Symbian 9.1 fonts then they could be found in z:/resources/fonts on your phone and they are standard tt fonts.