OggPlay 2.0 (alpha 0.30)

2010-06-01
2013-04-25
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-01

I've made a start re-writing OggPlay from scratch and I've now released the first binaries (alpha 0.30). I'll make the source available on Source Forge for the next release.

Hopefully this new version will eventually be good enough to replace the old version completely. At the moment the core playback engine has been completely re-written but there is only a minimal user interface. You can select a file to play and you can change the volume, but that's all. Vorbis is the only currently supported audio  codec. Only phones based on S60V3 and S60V5 are supported. Files and playlists must be placed in E:\Ogv. Playlists (.m3u or .pls) may contain a file to play or a http source (an ogg file on the internet somewhere or an icecast stream).

Support for Ogg Theora has been added. Playback quality is excellent on the N82 and N95. It's not so good on newer Nokia's such as the 5800 and N97. I haven't yet added support for scaling the image to the correct screen size and unfortunately video clips that are the correct size for the 5800 and N97 do not play smoothly because the phones do not have enough processing power. I haven't yet been able to test on higher performance phones, such as the Sony Ericsson Satio, Vivaz, Samsung i8910 (Omnia HD) or the new Nokia N8. However, these phones should be perfectly capable of playing 640x360 theora clips at 25-30 frames per second.

There are two versions. The ARM9 version should work on all S60V3 and S60V5 phones. The ARM11 version is for newer models that have ARM11 processors. Most Nokia phones released in the last few years are compatible with the ARM11 version so if you're not sure which version to install, try that first.

Getting theora clips onto the phone

Since there is no user interface it is necessary to manually copy ogg files and playlists to the memory card. Playlists need to be created on a PC or Mac, using notepad or wordpad or some other text editor. This is slightly fiddly, but easy when you know how. For example,

1. On a PC or Mac visit oggtv.com using a theora compatible browser (Firefox, for example).
    2. Find a clip that you want to watch on your phone.
    3. Download the clip (Right click and select Save as… with Firefox). Save the file to the computer and then copy it to your phone (to the Ogv folder on the memory card).
    4. Alternatively create a playlist instead. Right click on the clip and select Copy Video Location (again this is with Firefox). Create a text file and paste the video location into it.  Save the text file as "Playlist.m3u" and copy it to your memory card (to the Ogv folder).

Please bear in mind that if you choose the playlist option, OggPlay is not responsible for any data charges. It is recommended that you only use playlists when you have access to a Wi-fi internet connection.

Making your own clips

ffmpeg2theora can be used to convert existing video clips into the Theora format. Download it from here: http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora

Recommended settings are as follows:

1. Low quality clips for older, slower, ARM9 phones (E61, for example) and also 640x360 resolution phones such as the 5800, N97 and X6

ffmpeg2theora -v 7 -a 2 -F 15 -max_size 320x240
    ffmpeg2theora -v 7 -a 2 -F 15 -max_size 420x240

2. Medium quality clips for ARM11 phones (N82, N95, E71 and other recent Nokia's with 320x240 screens)

ffmpeg2theora -v 7 -a 2 -max_size 320x240
    ffmpeg2theora -v 7 -a 2 -max_size 420x240

3. High quality clips for high performance phones (Sony Ericsson Vivaz, Satio and Samsung i8910)

ffmpeg2theora -v 8 -a 4 -max_size 640x360

Of course there are theora clips out there, so you don't have to make your own. I'll try and post some links to theora clips and streams at some point later this week. Oggtv.com is a good place to start.

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-02

Sorry, I got the sizes for widescreen clips wrong. It should be -max_size 427x240

• Jan Malanik

Jan Malanik - 2010-06-04

thank You for your work, it's nice to know Oggplay is back. I'm very pleased to see new source code.

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-07

thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!   OGGPLAY is back!!!  Test version 0.31 not stable on my nokia n71… I 'm wait next version!………………

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-08

An n71? That's an old one. In principle it should work though. If you didn't install the ARM9 version please try that. The other builds  definitely won't work.

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-08

Yes is not present, you it is simple me have not understood… Works and 9 and 11. Simply to use a player in such type it is simply impossible. There Is no interface, there is no management of reconstruction. The image is displaced to the right! You plan the further completion?

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-08

Fig7,do you speak russian or ukrainian language?  …..  I"m bad speak english. Sorry.

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-08

Wishes:  support OGG containers, support of display of a cover of a disk if it lays in a folder with an album and refers to cover or folder.

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-08

Video in a format theora does not generate on nokia n71! (adjustments video-0, audio-0). The sound generates only.

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-09

I don't speak Russian. You English is understandable, so that's ok. The explanations you have given don't make much sense though.

1. If you have installed the OggPlay_20_031_ARM11.sisx file and it works then you don't have a Nokia N71. Did you mean that you have a Nokia E71?

2. When you say the image is displaced to the right I presume you mean that the file browser and video are displayed in landscape orientation. It is supposed to do that. TV programs are usually in 4:3 aspect ratio and most other videos are in 16:9 (also known as "wide-screen"). Some movies are even wider than that, so it makes no sense at the moment to display them in portrait mode. When I add the user interface there will be an option to allow videos to either run in the top half of the screen or to run full screen (in landscape orientation).

3. "Video in a format theora does not generate on nokia n71! (adjustments video-0, audio-0). The sound generates only. "
    If you have a clip that does not play please email it to me or provide me with a link to it so that I can download it and try it for myself.

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-10

I have nokia n71! These are 100 %! I established versions ARM9 and ARM11… Both Work! I shall send a clip… Still question:you be going to return in new versions function a player of version 1.80? Or now the player will be focused only on video?…

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-10

I downloaded the clip. It plays fine here.
    Only the ARM9 version will work correctly on your phone. Uninstall the ARM11 version and re-install the ARM9 version (OggPlay_20_031_ARM9.sisx)

Yes, I'm going to bring back most of the audio player functions of the old version.

• Anonymous - 2010-06-11

Tried it on my 5800 and works great! Looking forward to a full UI :)

Will we be able to have data in places other than E:\ogv in a future version?

If I could ask for one additional feature over the old OggPlay it would be ReplayGain support.

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-12

Yes, I'm sure that for OggPlay 2.0 I'll allow you to specify which directories you want OggPlay to search in. ReplayGain support is somewhere on the list of things to do. I can't say much more than that at the moment, there's too many other things to do unfortunately.

Igor, one other thing. That clip you sent me is encoded with low video quality and a high frame rate. There's really no point doing it that way. It's much better to reduce the frame rate (to 15, instead of 25) and keep high video quality. The settings I posted earlier are the ones you want:

ffmpeg2theora -v 7 -a 2 -F 15 -max_size 320x240

If clips don't play smoothly just drop the frame rate even more (down to 10-12 frames per second). Did you get it working on your N71?

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-13

Has reinstalled on ARM9-still there is only a sound…

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-13

Please add in next versions gappless playback, read album art from ogg tags(vorbis comment),read album art from album folder as FOLDER.jpg/COVER.jpg, ogg stream support(some files in single ogg container).

• Michael Weers

Michael Weers - 2010-06-13

Please put a clear note on the homepage that Oggplay 2.0 is not yet a replacement for the 1.x versions because of missing UI…

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-15

I am install version 0.32… Not understand… What"s new in this version?…….

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2010-06-15

There's only one install sis, so it's no longer possible to install the wrong files.
    You've got your gapless playback. You have to make an m3u file with all the songs you want to play in it.
    "ogg stream support(some files in single ogg container)" will also work, provided all the files are of the same type.

I took a look at those screens you uploaded. I don't have any explanation as to why you are only getting 240x240 pixels. Your clip appears to be playing though. I have changed the way I build the code for phones like yours. Hopefully 0.32 will work properly on your N71.

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-16

Thank you. .. Fig7,when you add user interface? To listen to music it is impossible without the interface!

• Tim O'Callaghan

Tim O'Callaghan - 2010-06-17

Going to test on my E90. Where can i post feature requests?

• Tenzin

Tenzin - 2010-06-18

It works so well on Nokia E63. Thanks for the app. We can at last play theora videos ! :)

• Tim O'Callaghan

Tim O'Callaghan - 2010-06-18

Maybe you should include a test media file?

• igor tf

igor tf - 2010-06-18

Theora it well!… But I would like to listen also to music on this player…

• roan

roan - 2010-07-01

Using nokia nuron 5230 and while  ogg downloads and puts an app in phone memory it doesn't put a file in E/ to  pls files

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks