Menu

Random play: not so random...

papajohn
2005-09-25
2013-04-25
  • papajohn

papajohn - 2005-09-25

Hello and CONGRATULATIONS for OggPlay, the best app in my SX1!

I've been using it for a long time from version 1.00 to 1.07 and I have a minor issue:

I use to let OggPlay play some ogg folders in my MMC which contain abot 50 oggs each, with the "random" mode on. The contents of these folders are not so usualy altered so that when I throw some new songs in, I have already listened to the old ones a lot.

All this time using OggPlay I have noticed that in each folder there are some "preffered" songs by the app. I mean that from the 50 songs of each folder, about 15 to 20 out of them are played more often than the others when radom order is selected, or better, they highly prioritised and play before the others. After a month or so listening to that folder randomly I notice that there are a lot of files played way less frequently than others, or not played at all. Tthis happens because I mostly listen up to 10 songs at a time and these songs happen to be the "preffered" ones. So OggPlay never manages to play the "less prioritised" songs.

I don't know how OggPlay iplements the "random" function but I find this effect a little bit irritating as not all of my songs are played equallly. It could be a good idea for OggPlay to save before closing which .oggs it has played and when it is called (even after a reboot) to resume playing the same folder to continue until all of the files are played once.

This issue is also present in artist/ album (etc) views but there it is less obvious because I don't regularly have a lot of songs of the same artist/album.

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2005-12-09

Yes, I agree. The same problem with me. I'm using 1.0.7.
      When I start up oggplay, a song is randomly chosen. But the Second song that plays is always the one that's first on the playlist. what's with that?

-abhas1

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2005-12-09

I think I know what's wrong with this. If it's what I think it is it will be fixed for the next release :-)

• papajohn

papajohn - 2006-04-12

Hello again!

Is is true that this bug has reappeared in version 1.091? I've been using it for a while and I think so...

• tonyflrb_mx

tonyflrb_mx - 2005-12-10

yeah, i have the same "problem", but i have the hotkey "Next" with the "5", and then the songs play random

• papajohn

papajohn - 2005-12-11

Thank yoy Stuart, I'm downloading 1.09b!

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2006-04-15

To be honest I'm not 100% certain it was fixed in the first place. I removed some code that could of caused this problem and it seemed to me that it was fixed. There were no changes in this area of the code between 1.09b and 1.091 so the answer to your question is no.

• papajohn

papajohn - 2006-05-20

OK, thnx for your reply, it must be me forgeting to refresh my playlist! ;-)