Menu

Oggplay addon possibilities

abhas1
2005-12-16
2013-04-25
  • abhas1

abhas1 - 2005-12-16

Okay, before I start out to say anything, I would like to point out what a wonderful job you developers are doing, and a big thanks for oggplay.

Now, if only that oggplay could be better than the best, and ergo better than the rest...
    Perhaps a simple skin creator would come in handy. As I said some time ago, oggplay's greatest challenger would be UltraMP3, and it has a skin that can easily be created using photoshop.

It's not like I have a problem with the original skins (in fact, the original one is pretty cool!). But it's the fact that I want to easily create my own skins! You may know what a tiring process it is to create a skin, esp. when working with MBMs (it's a dull, l-o-n-g job for me...)So how's about some manipulation!

What say?

thank you once again for your time
    abhas1

abhas1.blogspot.com

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2005-12-17

Well, I'm back with my imginations of oggplay, and there's something else that would look good...

The thing is that we're all so excited about seeing oggplay do more than playing ogg files. So how about doing something that would make oggplay work as a ringtone in non-MMF versions, or perhaps an alarm tone?

I really am looking forward to a musical morning! :)

thank you all once again!
      abhas1

abhas1.blogspot.com

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-01-10

how come nobody ever replies...

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2006-01-10

...because

1. you refer to "developers", but in reality there is only one: me! :-(

2. I'm kinda busy at the moment!

3. The "To do" list is already full of things to do. Ring tones on non-MMF as far as I know cannot be done. The skin editor and alarm clock are fairly high up on the list though.

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-01-11

great, great! Does that mean we have a bright future of seeing some new skins! A wonderful alarm! a musical morning! Yay!!

Oh, yeah, can i possibly help with some graphical stuff? any pics?
      As far as I know, I'm pretty good with photoshop (no bragging!). :)

thanks!

abhas1.blogspot.com

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-01-29

okay! another thing that would get oggplay on the rise: How about cross-fading between tracks?

and how's the OggAlarm going? the skin editor??

thank once again for your time, and please do reply :P

abhas1

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-02-05

would you look at that:

http://tinypic.com/n66lx3.jpg

seems they have said a little thanks...

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2006-02-05

Yes and it is appreciated, but I have a couple of issues with this:

1. The text implies that it's only the "user interface application" that is used by WMAPlus. In reality the audio playback engine is also part of the application, so it's not just the user interface of OggPlay that's being used. I know it's a minor niggle but I'd be happier if they had simply said that WMAPlus is based on OggPlay.

2. I believe that the rest of the text encourages users to make donations to OggPlay. That's great and I'm all in favour of users making donations. However, there's only one active developer on the project (me) and I'm not signed up to accept donations...

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-02-06

Very true. They only said that the UI was from oggplay, however I didn't know that the engine was based on it too.

Is there any chance of OggPlay also playing .wma files, using the encoder/plugin supplied by WmaPlus?

There may be some re-compiling required, but can you please give it a try? I really don't want to shift from OggPlay.

*Now, how to attach that plugin/enc??*

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-02-13

hello?!

please do reply!
      And tell me if there's any chance of using the wma plugin supplied by wma-plus to play wma files in oggplay!! how can I send that plugin to you??

And i've been anxiously waiting for the oggplay alarm you mentioned eariler. any more info would really be helpful...

thank you again for your time, and please, please,  please reply!!

abhas1

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-02-20

yay! u put up the OggAlarm feature! Thank You!!

• cardinal4

cardinal4 - 2006-02-24

With so many features already available, Oggplay is great! But how about adding a few more features, like making available the option to playback the files at different speeds? And I've noticed that the volume boost option only affects .ogg files, not .mp3 files......

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-02-25

can someone please tell me if we can use the wma-plus plugins? how do i send them?

and what's up with the skin editor? please include an option to edit skn files with ease

• Berthier Lemieux

Currently Oggplay is not configured to search for WMA files.

Providing that you can find a fully compliant MDF WMA codec, enabling WMA support, would only require changes to the following OggPlay function.

void COggPluginAdaptor::ConstructL()
        {
            iPluginSupportedList.ConstructL();
            // iPluginInfos will be updated, if required plugin has been found
            SearchPluginsL(_L("ogg"), ETrue);
            SearchPluginsL(_L("mp3"), ETrue);
            SearchPluginsL(_L("aac"), ETrue);
            SearchPluginsL(_L("mp4"), ETrue);
            SearchPluginsL(_L("m4a"), ETrue);
            SearchPluginsL(_L("mid"), EFalse); // Disabled by default
            SearchPluginsL(_L("amr"), EFalse); // Disabled by default
        }

Change is simple, but because of personnal convictions, I won't do it. But this is open source, somebody else might feel free to do the change.

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2006-02-26

I won't do it either. It seems like you just don't want to pay money for WMA Plus. My guess is that the people who wrote WMA Plus will have paid a license fee to Microsoft so they are entitled to make some money from the project.

Why don't you just convert your WMA files to oggs or use oggs in the first place, like we do!

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-03-07

oookkayy...no wma. :P
      but how about a skin editor that helps in 'easier' editing of .skn files, so that i know where exactly i'm putting that analyzer, or playlist?

Please do work on that skn editor. I believe it is high on your to-do list, considering the amount of requests you get for it.

thank you once again for your time
      abhas1

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-03-12

ookay...here's a list, all sorted out...

1.[.skn editor]
        - How about a skin editor that helps in 'easier' editing of .skn files, so that i know where exactly I'm putting that analyzer, or playlist?

2.[Option for changing color modes]
        - Like, say WinAmp, or the Sony PSP. Where we can switch between different color modes on the base skin.

3.Option to repeat a single track, over and over and over again! :P

4.Crossfading between tracks OR fade out at end of a track.

5.Smooth, anti-aliased fonts?

So...um...Whatcha think?? :P

abhas1

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-03-12

Seem like fair suggestions.  Now let me break it down for you.

I'm a developer, and if I was to make an estimate for time on these features, I'd say 60+ hours.  At least.  That excludes any and all testing, and all maintenance.  If anything goes wrong, or if the complexity is higher than I expected, the job could take up to 100 hours.  You'll have to be prepared to accept what I have finished at 60 hours or to pay for as much as 100 hours.

I'll go cheap on you since I don't usually do C++ dev.  and only charge $50/hr.  Which is much lower than I'd normally charge ($90).

The price of this work will run approximately 3,000 USD minimum.  So I'll expect $1000 up front, and $1000 at halfway, $1000 to deliver.

But keep in mind the delivery cost could go up as much as $2000 if it takes 100 hours.

Are you willing to put forth the potential 5000 USD to have this work done?

I assume no, so at least be very grateful if any of it gets done.  Don't be too hasty to demand features, and if you have anything helpful to offer please do.  All of the many hours that have gone into this program are given to you for free!

• abhas1

abhas1 - 2006-03-12

Woah, woah!
      Okay....

Well, I'm sorry, but I didn't mean to sound as if I were demanding these features. I'm thankful there's an OggPlay for free at all!

But, I'm no developer. I'm a 15-year old kid, who was dreaming, on and on. But, I would like to contribute my hands. I'm good with graphics and all, especially with photoshop. Is there any way I can help?

Once again, I'm sorry to have sounded selfishly demanding. It's just that these features would add to the glorious shine of the already popular OggPlay.

Sorry again, and thank you for your time to read this.
      abhas1

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-03-12

I agree that they are some useful features.  It's just that when you are one guy programming for free, it's kind of daunting to get a list of things with the apparent expectation that you can easily add them without any equivalent expression of appreciation for the effort it might take.

I just wanted to make a point so you would understand if they weren't added next week hehe

:)

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2006-03-12

I asked a friend about doing the skin editor. Initially she was interested and said she would look into it but she changed her mind. I suspect this was because she realised it was a fair amount of work and that she wasn't going to get paid for doing it :-(

Hey Zac, $90 an hour sounds good! Wish I was earning that much :-(

• mozgowitz

mozgowitz - 2006-06-22

Great job! Wonderful app!
      How about adding resume function from the exact place (middle of the song) the OggPlay was switched off. It would be great for audiobook listeners (very long files and so difficult to get to the last listened fragment)

• mocelet

mocelet - 2006-06-22

Great idea. If implemented, could it be a bookmark facility that works in playlists as well?
        I use OggPlay to listen to playlists of podcasts, and playlists of audiobook files, so remembering the current playlist as well as position in the track would be even better.