Menu

Does oggplay run on the OMAP's DSP?

Koli
2007-02-03
2013-04-25
  • Koli

Koli - 2007-02-03

I am not totally familiar with the MMF system, but I know that programmers don't have direct access to the underlying hardware on Symbian phones. When oggplay plays MP3 files, for example, it uses the built-in MMF codec that uses the OMAP's DSP. However, this is not the case with ogg files. I know that oggplay provides an ogg MMF plug-in to allow playback of ogg files. So, my question is whether this decoder runs on the DSP or on the ARM general purpose core? I know that details about the hardware are not available to application programmers, but I think you may have an idea. :) I've spent days reading about OMAP, Symbian and MMF, but couldn't figure out how an application programmer can be sure where his/her code runs. :)

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2007-05-16

No. Unfortunately it doesn't run on the DSP. I've downloaded a trial version of TI's latest DSP compiler but I suspect that even if I can get something built for the DSP I won't be able to run it on a Symbian device. We need to know how to use the DSP driver (aka DSP bridge) and I don't know if that API is published anywhere. Even if it is available my guess is that you will need at least MultimediaDD capability to use it.

I'd also like to take a look at "the next best thing" which is to compile a version that uses the FPU that is present on all of the new OMAP2420 based phones.