Menu

OggPlay 1.80 test (beta) release

2008-03-22
2022-10-20
  • Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2008-03-22

I've been struggling a bit to get the next release done. Getting internet audio streaming to work the way I want it to is proving tricky. I'm getting there though. Consequently I've uploaded a beta sis for anyone who wants to give it a try.

The beta is restricted to the following:
    S60V3 only
    Icecast Ogg Vorbis streams only

Download link:
    http://http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/nSIS/OggPlayS60V3_1_80b.sis

How it works:
    1. Download an Ogg Vorbis playlist from icecast.org, from the "Stream Directory"
    2. Rename the listen.m3u file to the name of the station, e.g. Attack cat.m3u (if it's the m3u for Attack cat Radio)
    3. Copy the .m3u to your phone.
    4. Run OggPlay and select "Find new files"
    5. Scroll down to the (streams) view, select the playlist, select the channel.
    6. Choose a connection and wait for it to connect...

If you are finding that it crashes often, please try changing the buffering mode to Single Thread (Single thread mode should be more stable)

For those new to internet radio:
    1. Audio streaming to your mobile phone is not free.
    2. Streaming over a Wi-fi network will always be much cheaper than any other method, so connect to a wi-fi network if possible.
    3. If you do use your mobile phones network connection (i.e. Vodaphone, T-Mobile, etc.) please make sure you have a good idea how much it will cost. You don't want to get a big surprise when they send you your next bill!

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2008-03-22

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2008-03-28

I've uploaded a new version. The networking and buffering code is all fixed now (fingers crossed).
      It's still S60V3 and Icecast Vorbis only though. mp3 support coming soon...

http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net/nSIS/OggPlayS60V3_1_80b2.sis

• mykola 76

mykola 76 - 2008-03-30

hi,Stuart! I'm from Ukraine.i'm very bad speak english.your oggplay-super!!!thank you!  Stuart,please -equalizer add in oggplay for s60v2! Please!!! Sorry,if i bad english,but i need you andestund me!

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2008-03-30

Yes, equaliser is on the list of things to do. Once 1.80 gets done I'll have another look at the "things to do list" and try and fit equaliser support into the next major release.

• Stuart Fisher

Stuart Fisher - 2008-03-30

"How it works:
      1. Download an Ogg Vorbis playlist from icecast.org, from the "Stream Directory"
      2. Rename the listen.m3u file to the name of the station, e.g. Attack cat.m3u (if it's the m3u for Attack cat Radio)
      3. Copy the .m3u to your phone.
      4. Run OggPlay and select "Find new files"
      5. Scroll down to the (streams) view, select the playlist, select the channel.
      6. Choose a connection and wait for it to connect... "

I guess now I'm thinking that it would be better to directly interface with Icecast and Shoutcast and download the playlists you want (with various filter options of course). But it's not going to happen anytime soon. There's just not enough developers on this project!

• mykola 76

mykola 76 - 2008-04-01

hi,Stuart! Talk me please:date of release new version oggplay with equalizer for Symbian s60v2(nokia6680 and more)? Thank you.

• Evgeni Golov

Evgeni Golov - 2008-05-13

That is *REALLY* nice.
      Just installed 1.80b2 on my Nokia E51 (Symbian S60 3rd FP1).
      Works just fine, but I had to disable buffering at all (neither multi- nor singlethreaded worked well, played a second, 2 seconds gap, played a second, 2 seconds gap...)

Thanks for your great work
      Evgeni

• iutus

iutus - 2008-05-13

This is the best app I ever had on my phone, so I really want to compliment you with this.

After installing the 1.80b2 version on my N95, I was glad the preferences from the 1.72 version stayed and I was able to use the beta right away:
      * Streaming works like a charm (tested with wifi)
      * Buffering works fine here
      * Some songs do not start immediately (they stay at 00:00). They only start working when I pause them and then press start again.. This is however not with all songs. I do not know exactly what you changed, but I haven't figured out why just a few songs stopped with immediate starting and what would make them different from the rest.
      * The rest works just as great as it always did ;)

(Symbian version: S60v3 FP1 which I updated a month ago)

I'll try to update the old Dutch translation asap, so you can include it in the 1.80 release.

Thank you

• Robin Laurén

Robin Laurén - 2008-10-15

Hello!

First of all, thanks and kudos for making this program!  I have  been waiting like mad for an "Internet radio" client that plays ogg streams.  Seems like one is coming soon.  And i feel a blog post coming up at www.navelfluff.org :)

I installed the 1.80 b2 on my Nokia N76 yesterday and it does not (yet) work as advertised.  When i try to listen to The Dividing Line (www.thedividingline.com/listen.pls --> made into a m3u file which is at www.nados.net/dlbn.m3u) i get short bursts of music, about one second apart.

I tried installing the program on the "phone memory" instead of the card, but that didn't help.  I tried running the player in single thread but that didn't help either.  I'll try the 3G connection from work if it's any better there, in case that's the problem.  But usually i've been able to stream The Dividing Line over 3G data via USB to Winamp on my laptop to my ears.  It's just a bit clunky to lug around a laptop just to have it as a media transcoder...

tnx & rgds,
      ~llaurén

• mykola 76

mykola 76 - 2009-02-16

Hi! Why not next release??? This player is end??? Sorry,bad english.

• virgoz

virgoz - 2009-07-08

Hi, Im from Indonesia. I had waited for a long time for the next oggplay. But there is no updated after the v1.72. I want oggplay team can release a new oggplay for s60v1 phone like my ngage QD... N please make a equalizer fitur for a new oggplay... Maybe with skin maker software too. Thanx!

• IamErwin

IamErwin - 2021-06-24

I am from Indonesia too

• Ewot

Ewot - 2022-10-20

Me too

• jef martin

jef martin - 2009-08-11

1.80b2 works on a nokia 6650 fold  with no buffering and mad off ,
      with these streams..
      http://80.74.149.30/stream.ogg
      http://80.74.149.30:8888/stream.ogg
      though it does crash frequently..

•  cs

cs - 2009-10-29

Will 1.80 support cyrillic filenames?

•  cs

cs - 2009-10-29

I'll appreciate a standard skin in different colors.
    If psble )))

• ramez sayed

ramez sayed - 2009-11-19

Will  v1.80 support  S60V2 or S60V3 only ???

**I hope next release would  work on S60V2**