Stuart Fisher - 2008-02-02

I've now added a donate button to the OggPlay homepage (http://symbianoggplay.sourceforge.net)

As some of you may know I've been single handedly trying to keep this project going for some time now. I'm doing this because I think OggPlay is a brilliant music player and that Leif and the team did a fantastic job with the original P800 and S60 versions. However, just standing still in the Symbian world is a massive task in itself. Every new phone model has different issues and these issues often need a lot of work to fix. For example I've just gone out and bought a Nokia N82 partly because I knew that S60V3 FP1 would almost certainly break one or two things, so I needed to check if OggPlay still worked on the latest devices. Fortunately it does work but there are nevertheless some OggPlay things that need fixing for S60V3 FP1 devices.

And then there's new features. Many people have asked me to make their headset controls work. To do that I really need to go out and buy one of those things. Sure I could try and implement support without actually having one, but writing code for hardware that you don't have is such a hit and miss affair on Symbian devices (look at the number of attempts I had to make to get the E61 code right, for example). So aside from all of my time (which would be valued in the £1000s if I was being paid to work on this project) there's a financial cost to the development work as well. If I can get enough money from donations I'll be able to buy all of the things I need to get these new features in and working on all of the phones.

Finally you might want to donate to the project because you appreciate the time and effort that is being put in, and because like me you use OggPlay all the time as your music player...