Bug? Doesn't find recent files? Needs "refresh" option?

2015-03-27
2016-11-03
  • Yosh Mantinband

Yosh Mantinband - 2015-03-27

I seem to have stumbled across a bug. A few files I searched for were not found. I found them manually in the Downloads directory. It occurred to me that perhaps it's because I had SS open for several days and that perhaps those files had been downloaded afterwards. I closed and reopened SS and then it did find them.

I guess you are encaching the file list so that if something new is added to the file system you won't see it unless your cache is refreshed. Is that correct?

If so, perhaps you want to add a menu option to "Refresh"? Or is there a way for you to detect that the file system has been updated since you loaded it so you know to auto-refresh?

thanks,
    yosh

•  

- 2015-03-27

Try pressing F5?

• Yosh Mantinband

Yosh Mantinband - 2015-03-29

F5 doesn't seem to do anything...

•  

- 2015-03-30

It invalidates the cache. Search again after you press F5.

• Yosh Mantinband

Yosh Mantinband - 2015-03-31

Ahhh... I thought it would Refresh - like F5 does in my browser.

Isn't there a way you can monitor the file system to know if a new file has been created and therefore you should automatically invalidate the cache?

•  

- 2015-03-31

Yes but you don't want to invalidate the entire cache every time a single file changes. And if a bunch of files get deleted then you would waste memory etc... it's a nontrivial problem to do this with low latency.

•  

- 2015-03-31

Also, when folders get moved, I have to recompute all the space usages as well as re-link all the parents/children... it's very hard and time-consuming to get it right, so I'm not going to try to do that.

• Comment has been marked as spam. 
    Undo

You can see all pending comments posted by this user  here

Anonymous - 2015-10-13

I like this program a lot. It runs fine on my Windows 7 laptop, but crashes nearly everytime on my Windows 7 desktop. Here's the error message:

Faulting application name: SwiftSearch.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54c8c0d7
    Faulting module name: SwiftSearch.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54c8c0d7
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0002724f
    Faulting process id: 0x2668
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d105c2695827bb
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\Bob\Downloads\SwiftSearch.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Users\Bob\Downloads\SwiftSearch.exe
    Report Id: b4798fd2-71b5-11e5-9219-020000000102

Can you help?

Thanks,
    Bob

•  

- 2016-11-03

Hi, I just saw your comment (when you post anonymously it gets held for modification and I don't seem to get notifications). Unfortunately there isn't enough debugging information here for me, but thanks for reporting. Do you still experience this issue with the latest version?

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks