Menu

Anyone using this thing?

2007-03-08
2013-04-16
  • TimBlagbrough

TimBlagbrough - 2007-03-08

I've been using chillispot...and have been frustrated with the inability to customize DHCP (or use an external DHCP server)

Can sweetspot do that?

Thanks
    Tim

• Ilya Etingof

Ilya Etingof - 2007-03-08

Yes, sweetspot works in conjunction with an external DHCP server.

Keep in mind that sweetspot works purely on IP layer what implies certain difficulties if you need MAC-based access control.

Have you seen these sparse notes on sweetspot design at http://sweetspot.sf.net ?

-ilya

• TimBlagbrough

TimBlagbrough - 2007-03-24

Hi ilya,

MAC based access control shouldn't be a problem.  Where would I specify an external DHCP server?  I don't see a setting for this?

Here's the scenario....

I have an existing management server that handles all of my wireless nodes.  It does config, monitoring, etc....and also assigns IP addresses via dhcpd.conf file.  But, no captive portal.

Can I have sweetspot 'point to' this dhcp server to hand out IP addresses.  Any client grabbing from IPs from sweetspot would be in 'captive' mode?

Hope I'm explaining this right....

Thanks
      Tim

• Ilya Etingof

Ilya Etingof - 2007-03-24

There is no need for sweetspot to know much about your DHCP server. It hangs out IPs to your clients like there is no captive portal in your system. Sweetspot could sit on the border of your wireless network and pass traffic from/to your wireless clients on a per-IP basis. All you need is to specify your DHCP-managed networks to sweetspot (user-networks option in sweetspot.conf). All of these IPs would initially be in 'captured' state but could be 'released' through the sweetuam command/API.

-ilya