Menu

Design

2002-01-23
2002-02-05
  • John Brosan

John Brosan - 2002-01-23

Hello gang,

As you know we have a lot of really GREAT open source tools that we can use in the development of Swampfox.

With the current gamut of tools we have the power to create a VERY nice and robust three tier application.

So, with that in mind, for what this project is to accomplish do we REALLY need that kind of power? Do we need to be able to support EJB via JBoss? Are JSP/Servlets and XML good enough?

As much as I would like to learn and do something with EJB, the truth is for this project I don't think we do.

What are your thoughts on this?

Now, on a another note, how are we going to make this thing work? Are we going to let the user design their own interface calling our engine? What do we return? HTML? XML?

Please start thinking about design and post your thoughts here.

Thanks
    - John

• David Amick

David Amick - 2002-01-25

I agree with John.  We need to use servlets and JSP's with the XML.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2002-01-29

Servlets, JSP's and XML sounds good to me. 

What is our ultimate goal for this project(from a product standpoint)?  Are we looking to build a portal that contains John's list of features?  Or are we looking to build a complete internet portal software package(including cross-platform installation)?  Either way we can start with identifying some of the actors(any person or system that interacts with the system we are developing) that we will have, then once we have identified all of the actors we can create use cases(how is the system used)?  Here are a few of the obvious ones:

Administrator
      Visitor
      Member(has an account)
      Site Owner

Any others???

• John Brosan

John Brosan - 2002-02-05

Good idea Derek. per our conversation, I think what we want to create is a "Content Management System" that Joe User can download, install, and use with minimal fuss.

I REALLY like PHP Nuke and think its great, but I want to allow the end user a little more flexability. Ideally, I would like to give the end user the ability to setup news, discussion, guest book, photo galleries and a customized menu system.

I would like to implement a security system similar to PHP Nuke, but with a few more bells and whistles.

- John