Menu

Need HELP to start using Super CSV in Win7...

Help
everest101
2011-09-09
2012-09-14
  • everest101

everest101 - 2011-09-09

Hi all,

I feel that Super CSV may help correcting supposedly formatted '.csv' files
    that I d/l from a financial analysis web site. These d/l files have an 'csv'
    extension but their content is far from what I am used to see and they don't
    import correcly in MS-Excel for example.

I downloaded the latest Super CSV 1.52 zip file and am puzzled on how to work
    with its content.. No executable files are in their and I have no idea what to
    do with the .jar file.

I read from a reply in the Open Discussion forum that no installation is
    required!?! The solution goes like this...'SuperCSV is a java library, so you
    dont "install" it on OS level but add it to the classpath of the java
    application that wants to use it.'

I think the only Java application I use is Internet Explorer! Can IE be used
    to work with Super CSV? If yes, how is this set up? If not, what else could I
    use? MS-Excel or MS-Word? How do we get the Java libraries to be recognised?

Could someone recommend a common application that could be used with Super
    CSV?

I am on a WIN7-64 (and have a WIN7-32) PC with IE-V8 and latest Java Run Time
    for IE. Sorry to throw all these questions but bear in mind that there is not
    much information on how to work with these files on this Super CSV section.

I (and most likely other people) would need help in this avenue.

Any help would be most appreciated....thanks in advance!

Regards,

• James Bassett

James Bassett - 2011-09-26

Hi everest,

I'm not sure Super CSV is going to help you! It's just a Java API to simplify
    CSV reading/writing (there is no executable, it's just a library that Java
    developers can use when writing their own Java programs). If someone wrote a
    GUI interface for Super CSV (in Java), then you'd be laughing.

You're better off trying to get it working in Excel. Can you provide a sample
    of the CSV file (if it's not sensitive data)? You can just open the file in a
    text editor and paste the contents here.