Questions about the options for build configuration of the STXXL library

2014-07-07
2014-07-08
  • Isaac Perez

Isaac Perez - 2014-07-07

In http://stxxl.sourceforge.net/tags/máster/install_build_options.html, are displayed some STXXL optional features and compile switches that can be changed at build time.

Several of these features seem me useful and I would like to reinstall the stxxl library for include them. However, I do not know how.

In particular I am interested in the options:
    DBUILD_EXAMPLES, DBUILD_TESTS, DBUILD_EXTRAS, DTRY_COMPILE_HEADERS, DUSE_VALGRIND and DUSE_GCOV.

I don't know how to activate these options when compiling and installing stxxl.

I use ArchLinux and I installed stxxl using yaourt. I tried to edit the PKGBUILD to add those options in the function build(){ ... }. In the following line:

cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON -DBUILD_STATIC_LIBS=ON

At the end of the previous line I added:
    -DBUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -DBUILD_TESTS=ON -DBUILD_EXTRAS=ON -DTRY_COMPILE_HEADERS=ON -DUSE_VALGRIND=ON y -DUSE_GCOV=ON

However, an error is generated during compilation.

I do not know if that line is where I must add those options. Besides, I'm not sure if it's BUILD_EXTRAS or DBUILD_EXTRAS.

Furthermore, I understand that with the options DBUILD_TESTS and DBUILD_EXAMPLES are compiled and built several examples and tests of the library components. However, I don't know as run those tests and examples or if they are automatically executed.

Finally I'm not sure I understand the convenience of activating DUSE_GNU_PARALLEL option. Does this enabled by default?, Is it worth enabling this option?.

I welcome any help and/or suggestions on the issues raised above. Thanks in advance.

• Timo Bingmann

Timo Bingmann - 2014-07-08

Yes that looks about right. There are -D cmake defines, so all start with -D .
    The USE_GNU_PARALLEL is on in linux and enables parallel sorting/merging algorithms.

"ctest" or "make test" runs the tests.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks