Anonymous - 2002-12-10

This may be a somewhat complicated problem that may not in fact relate directly to STC, but I want to see if it rings any bells here.  I recently got logging working using log4j, and although my app still works fine when I'm not running the tests, my test suite now causes multiple occurrences of the following exception:

StandardWrapperValve[ServletRedirector]: Servlet.service() for servlet
ServletRedirector threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.struts.tiles.xmlDefinition.I18nFactorySet.toString(I18nFactorySet.java:577)
        at
org.apache.struts.tiles.definition.ComponentDefinitionsFactoryWrapper.toString(ComponentDefinitionsFactoryWrapper.java:152)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.recordContextAttributes(MonitorFilter.java:1205)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.recordContextData(MonitorFilter.java:901)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.getDataBefore(MonitorFilter.java:531)
        at
org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.MonitorFilter.doFilter(MonitorFilter.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:213)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:566)

This only happens when I've got logging turned on and I'm running the test cases -- (logging + normal usage) and (no logging + test cases) all work fine.

Now, the weird thing to me is that I'm not even using Tiles -- I switched from TilesRequestProcessor to RequestProcessor, removed the Tiles plugin section
from my struts-config.xml and removed tiles-defs.xml file as well just to be sure. The logs do not contain any Tiles initialization entries as they did before I removed Tiles. Why are Tiles classes still being used?

It may be that this is a Cactus etc. problem that's not related to StrutsTestCase, but I thought I'd start here since the root of the problem appears to be that something erroneously is trying to print out/log Tiles-related objects.

Any insights?

This test package is otherwise great, BTW.

Ryan Olson