Struts-Cocoon 503 error

Help
2003-11-18
2003-11-26
  • Chad Mathis

Chad Mathis - 2003-11-18

I'm having trouble with the Struts-Cocoon sample project.   I've tried deploying the app to both a WAS 4 and 5 server.  It builds with warnings (all about deprecated functions) and I had to add the sax2.jar that came with the latest stable jaxp.

I've made the following changes to the struts-config.xml:
            <!-- Edit user registration -->
            <action path="/editRegistration" type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.EditRegistrationAction" attribute="registrationForm" scope="request" name="registrationForm" validate="false">
                <forward name="success" path="registration.jsp" />
            </action>

<!-- Edit mail subscription -->
            <action path="/editSubscription" type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.EditSubscriptionAction" attribute="subscriptionForm" name="subscriptionForm" scope="request" validate="false">
                <forward name="failure" path="/mainMenu.jsp" />
                <forward name="success" path="/subscription.jsp" />
            </action>

<!-- Process a user logon -->
            <action path="/logon" type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.LogonAction" name="logonForm" scope="session" input="logon.jsp">
                <exception key="expired.password" type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.ExpiredPasswordException" path="/changePassword.jsp" />
            </action>

<!-- Save user registration -->
            <action path="/saveRegistration" type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.SaveRegistrationAction" name="registrationForm" scope="request" input="registration.jsp" />

<!-- Save mail subscription -->
            <action path="/saveSubscription" type="org.apache.struts.webapp.example.SaveSubscriptionAction" scope="request" name="subscriptionForm" input="subscription.jsp">
                <forward name="subscription" path="/subscription.jsp" />
                <forward name="success" path="/editRegistration.do?action=Edit" />
            </action>

When I try click the A Waling Tour of the Example Application link I get the following error:
    Error 503: Cannot initialize RequestProcessor of class org.twdata.struts.CocoonRequestProcessor: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/apache/cocoon/util/log/ExtensiblePatternFormatter (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)

Below is a list of the warnings I get during the build:
    Warning            The type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.LogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 141 in CocoonHandler.logKitManager
    Warning            The method setFormatter(org.apache.log.format.Formatter) from the type org.apache.log.output.AbstractOutputTarget is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 866 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 870 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The constructor org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager(org.apache.log.Hierarchy) is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 870 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 870 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method setLogger(org.apache.log.Logger) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 871 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method contextualize(org.apache.avalon.framework.context.Context) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 886 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method configure(org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.Configuration) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 899 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method log(java.lang.String, java.lang.Throwable) from the type org.apache.log.Hierarchy is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 901 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method getLogger(java.lang.String) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 905 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method getLogger(java.lang.String) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.DefaultLogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 907 in CocoonHandler.initLogger()
    Warning            The method getLogger(java.lang.String) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.LogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 1,401 in CocoonHandler.createCocoon()
    Warning            The method getLogger(java.lang.String) from the type org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logger.LogKitManager is deprecated    CocoonHandler.java    StrutsCocoonPOC/Java Source/org/twdata/struts    line 1,456 in CocoonHandler.getInstrumentManager()

Any help would be appreciated.

• Chad Mathis

Chad Mathis - 2003-11-18

Could it be because I'm not running JVM 1.4?  If so, what do I need to change to make it work with older versions?

• Don Brown

Don Brown - 2003-11-26

What happens if you run the example w/o modification?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks