Menu

Works in raw mode

Help
2006-08-19
2013-04-17
  • Christopher Pickslay

I have an Omran V3A-4K, which I wired up according to the Make Zine article. It seems to be partially working, as I see some 1s and 0s in raw mode. But if I run it in default mode, I just get "Waiting for Card". It doesn't seem to recognize that the card has been swiped.

Here's what I see:

1) In raw mode, if I swipe a card quickly, I see a single 0.
    2) In raw mode, if I swipe the card very slowly, I see a progression of 1s and 0s.
    3) In default mode, I just get "Waiting for Card", no matter how I swipe it.

Any input on how I could troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. I've checked all the wiring, and it's correct. My soldering is not the greatest, so it's possible that there's a short, but it doesn't look like it.

• fortschreiten

fortschreiten - 2006-08-20

I had a similar problem when I first started using stripesnoop.  The actual issue turned out to be that I wasn't using the correct address for the parallel port.  My parallel port was detected at 0x3BC - which means I'd have to run stripe snoop like this (linux):
      ./ss -P 0x3bd

Here's something else you may want to check out:
      https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1483610&forum_id=387203

If none of this helped, sorry. In this case, just throw me any information (version number, parallel port address, etc.) you have and I'll try to be a little more helpful.

• Christopher Pickslay

Actually, I'm using the game port, so I don't think this is the problem. I'm using 1.5 on Windows XP Pro, but also tried the 1.6 alpha, with the same results.

When I run the card slowly, the results are seemingly random. I get some 1s and 0s, but not always the same ones, and only about 10-15 per run of the card.

• fortschreiten

fortschreiten - 2006-08-22

Hmm...I'll think about this one.  If you have a multimeter, try checking for continuity between the pins on the reader and the pins on the game port.  Perhaps one of the solder joints is barely connected.  Try watching the data get clocked with the multimeter, just to make sure it's happening. If you have access to an oscilliscope, there's another way to see if data is coming out of the reader.  Hopefully that will help you determine whether or not it's a hardware or software issue.