Menu

Help with MagTek USB Reader

Help
2009-06-18
2013-04-17
  • Paul E. Loeb

Paul E. Loeb - 2009-06-18

Hello,

I am working on a project to read drivers license information from the magnetic strip, and then process that data. I stumbled upon Stripe Snoop – and I think it does exactly what I’m looking for, but I can’t seem to get it to work with my MagTek USB reader (tracks 1, 2, and 3). I have tried the –i and –c switches; the error I get is “LRC check failed in both directions, I cannot read this card, no valid Track II”.

Can you help me out?

Thank you!
    Paul

• Jules

Jules - 2009-07-16

Hi Paul,

I have the sparkfun http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8634 reader/writer and I myself can't get basic writing done.

I'm still not entirely sure if the stripesnoop product will work with my serial port device. That said, if you found out anyway to work your product I'd love to hear about it and if you had any advice for me, I'd love that too.

I don't have much help for you, other than you can look at this info and see if it helps:
      http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2482114&forum_id=387203
      ----
      The PS/2 connector is the power supply input and the serial port is data In/Out. If you use Hyperterminal and connect using 9600,N,8,1 settings, when you swipe a card with data, it should display some information in HT's window.

The data should look like this:

☻;00000000000000=0000000000?♥

Because the data packets must start and end with bytes that aren't easily typed within Hyperterminal, you should write your own program or obtain compatible software to interact with the device.

To write data using VB, I construct a string like the following:

OutputData = Chr$(&H2) & Chr$(&H25) & "Track1Data" & Chr$(&H3F) & Chr$(&H3B) & "Track2Data" & Chr$(&H3F) & Chr$(&H2B) & "Track3Data" & Chr$(&H3F) & Chr$(&H3)