CMOS Reader.

Help
Darkke
2007-05-07
2013-04-17
  • Darkke

Darkke - 2007-05-07

I bought a reader from All Electronics
    http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/MCR-12/search/MAGNETIC_CARD_READER_.html
    And it is listed a CMOS reader, will that not work as a TTL one?
    When I scan my bank card it says:
    Waiting for Card
    LRC check failed ion both directions.
    I cannot read this card, no valid Track II
    Do i just have a unsupported reader or am i doing something wrong?

• Charles Sullivan

Disclaimer: I don't have one of these readers.

I assume you have it wired up correctly and with the required 5V supply.

One thing I notice from the picture on the AllElectronics site is that this is an insertion reader rather than a swipe reader.  It's possible the data on your bank card extends beyond the region where the magnetic head can read it.  If you have (or can borrow) a card like a gasoline card which is normally meant to be used in an insertion reader, try that.

Another test is to try reading your bank card in raw mode.  If all the data on the card is being read you should expect to see a fairly long string of all zeros at the beginning and at the end.

Regards,
      Charles Sullivan

• Darkke

Darkke - 2007-05-13

I have ran the system in raw mode and do get zeros are the beginning and end of the card.
      00000000000000000000 <- beginning
      000000000000000000000000 <- end.
      The card read I got says in the technical guide.
      Signal Level: CMOS level
      Signal Logic: Low Active
      I even tried to build a CMOS to TTL converter circuit for the data line to change the output of the card reader from CMOS to ttl, but then it wont read anything at all any idea?

• Charles Sullivan

Is the reading you get in raw mode reproducible?  I.e., if you read the card several times in a row, do you get the _exact_ same sequence of ones and zeros (disregarding the leading and trailing zeros) at least most of the time?  (Reading on the card removal will probably be more consistent than on the insertion.)  Because of the LRC encoding, one bit in error will result in a failure.

You should try reading at least one other common credit card to make sure there's not something unusual about your particular bank card.