Menu

Moble Reader using cellphone

Deek
2005-04-14
2013-04-17
  • Deek

Deek - 2005-04-14

I saw a blog entry on the make mag website (http://www.makezine.com)  and it pointed to this website (http://deepquest.code511.com/blog/more.php?id=263_0_1_0_M)  here the author uses his mobile phones sound recording and hooks up a magnetic card stripe reader as a microphone.  After that he transfers the sound file to the computer, decode and have the data available.  I dont know alot about cell phone hacking but if i could connect a reader to my Sony Ericsson T637 phone to swipe numbers It would be awsome... any thoghts?

• Acidus

Acidus - 2005-04-15

Luis Padilla Visdomine originally came up with this Hack. He is simply using the Sound card as a cheap ADC by sampling -really- -really- fast. He is then using SOX (a cool open source sound editor) to filter out the ones and zeros.

I have talked with Luis over email, and he is a very smart guy. SS 2.0's design is such that adding new reader s is pretty easy. This would requiring using some code from SOX (which, like SS, is GPL). Its on my list of things to do after I graduate in a month. Stripe Snoop could be ported to Java, to run directly on a phone. This would be nasty and extremely phone dependent as each phone implements Java differently.

Support for cheap sound card assisted reader is doable. However, this will simply be for the PC.

• Aidan

Aidan - 2005-08-01

Really really fast in this case is about 48KHz, but then filtered down to exclude any frequencies above 4KHz (IE, the information that would be captured using an 8KHz sample rate). This is then passed onto the rest of the program which performs the F/2F decoding.

The F/2F decoding program isn't nearly as robust as a commercial decoder however. I've tried improving the signal before Luis' code tries decoding it, but only with a limited amount of sucess. Whilst I can get the sample to look much more like a cleaner waveform, I still have some issues with attempting to decode it.

Basically the output from the reader head is an audio signal. Anything that can record an audio signal reasonably well can be used. If you have an MP3 player that can record, you could use that instead of a phone!