Radio transmission.

alberto4nt
2004-10-31
2013-04-17
  • alberto4nt

alberto4nt - 2004-10-31

Greetings,

The situation is following:
    I have a card reader and I need to transmit signal via radio signal (transmitter) to receiver connected to my computer.
    The problem is that the F2F decode chip generates DATA and CLK pairs, but the radio transmitter have only one audio channel (one input).
    Is there any ways to transmit data and clk via one audio channel?

Thanks.

• Acidus

Acidus - 2004-11-02

... ... Ok, this sounds sketchy as hell, seeing as how you posted the exact same question to the MakStripe Forum.

Luckily, the solution is going to be nasty to implement. Look at Luis' excellent website about using the soundcard to receive the direct fluxes from the mag card. You *could* send these over the air, but distortion/noise added to the signal would most likely mess them up. You would have to do some serious DSP at the receiver, or build some hardware lowpass or bandpass filters.

http://www.gae.ucm.es/~padilla/extrawork/stripe.html

• Charles Sullivan

This is indeed a nasty problem, and trying to implement a solution with a TTL mag card reader will require a major  effort
        to develop circuitry at both ends (unless it already exists).

However there's a chance an RS232 reader plus a couple of modems could be made to work.

The hangup here is that the RS232 readers I know of transmit at 9600 BPS, and the common consumer-grade modems which can transmit at 9600 BPS require a telephone system, or at least a telephone system emulator (provide dial tone, etc.) at the receiving end to establish a connection.  If you can find two 9600 BPS commercial modems (maybe on the used equipment market) which are capable of a direct 2-wire link between two PCs, you may have a chance.  (I think the last consumer modems which were capable of direct connection were 1200 BPS.)

Alternatively, you could check with the mag card reader manufacturers to find out if they ever sold a 1200 BPS RS-232
        reader and look for one of these on the used market, but if too old they might not support the current mag stripe formats.

• Zothar

Zothar - 2004-11-03

Check out www.parallax.com .  Look at their RF Tx/Rx Modules.. You might be able to send slow card swipes through...