Menu

db9 connection

goldscott
2004-11-23
2013-04-17
  • goldscott

goldscott - 2004-11-23

I have a laptop, and thus no 15 pin gameport.
    I was wondering if it was at all possible to connect a reader to the db9 serial port?
    what connections/pins to use?
    and any software to properly implement this?

perhaps this software, which was found linked from that ebay auction on the other page of this discussion.
    http://www.powersellerprc.com/trysw/msrw.exe

or this MSR206.EXE, easily found on a google search.

i have three card readers, so i wired up the other two together, to see if i could copy cards, as described here: http://www.chez.com/mosfet/copier.htm.
    I hooked up 5V to the Vcc on the first reader and sent the DATA from the first reader to the maghead of the second, as well as grounded the second maghead. I mounted both readers on a board and swiped two cards simultaneously, they were taped to another board. This proved to be successful, as i tested the copied card by listening with a pair of headphones, but the signal is much weaker, and the card doesn't work.
    Then I sent the signal through an op-amp before going to the mag head. this didn't seem to do much, but it amplified the audio signal while listening with headphones.

any suggestions?

i appreciate all of your efforts, acidus.

• lyos

lyos - 2004-12-02

I don't know if I can help... but I do have a couple of suggestions.
      1.) instead of rigging the link direct... you might do better to have it write to an EEPROM, or Flash module... serial EEprom might be best.
      2.) try adding a buffer/line driver to the connection
      3.) attach an LCD to the rig... this will allow you to "see" the data
      With the above suggestions in play... you should be able to a.) "see" what you are reading from the first card then with a flip of a switch perhaps... write the second, b.) buffer/line driver should strengthen the signal and help alleiviate data written too fast (direct connect) or not fast enough (if EEprom is slow, use RAM), c.)then swipe the card through the first card reader... and "see" the data to check to see if it's the same. This should either solve the proplem or allow you to see/hear what is wrong.
      Good luck!
      Lyos Gemini Norezel

• lyos

lyos - 2004-12-08

Did my ideas help you solve the problem? Where they of any help?
      Lyos Gemini Norezel

• goldscott

goldscott - 2004-12-08

i haven't tried your suggestions yet, but i will try them and post my results.

i don't quite have the knowledge in order to implement these ideas, but i will continue to research and see what i come up with.

• Lee

Lee - 2005-03-05

I picked up a msr206-3HL recently and just though I would share what I found.  Depending on if your trying to wright a HiCo or LoCo card, depends on how much power you need.  the msr206 writer says to use the recommended power supply.  It is a 24v power supply that supplies up to 2.2 Amps.  I have read that you don't want anything smaller because it needs all that power to wright a HiCo card.