Menu

Anything on track 1/3

tafische
2005-03-02
2013-04-17
  • tafische

tafische - 2005-03-02

Ok - I have been following this software, but I have never seen anything being read on the other tracks.

Has anyone seen data on the other tracks, if so what??

I need to go ahead and invest in a reader, but really would like to figure out if it is worth spending the extra money to get one that can read more than on track or use the mod.

thx

• Denver Gingerich

There are many cards that have data on tracks 1 and 3.  My driver's license, for instance, has my address and name encoded on track 1 and my postal code, driver's license number, and license expiry date encoded on track 3.  My driver's license number and birth date are encoded on track 2.

Tracks 1 and 3 are usually encoded using the standard 6-bit encoding, while track 2 usually uses the 4-bit encoding.  See http://stripesnoop.sourceforge.net/devel/phrack37.txt for the encodings.  I wrote my own program to ease the tedious task of decoding the 6-bit encodings by hand.  I think StripeSnoop 2.0 will probably do this for you.

I wouldn't bother buying a reader that reads all 3 tracks.  Instead, get a track 2 reader like the V3A-4K that is easily modified to read any of the 3 tracks.  You'll need to swipe a card 3 times to get all 3 tracks, but the 3-track readers can be a bit pricey.  Check out Acidus' tutorial at http://stripesnoop.sourceforge.net/mod.html.

I hope that answers some of your questions.  Feel free to post again if I haven't answered everything or if you have more questions.

• tafische

tafische - 2005-03-02

Thanks for the reply.   I found a good 3 track reader for around $30, but it was USB.  I opted to go with the $1.50 reader from All Electronics to play around a little bit. (just ordered it)

Not sure If I can read track 3, but I figure I can use "the trick" to at least get track 1.

Hey...for a $1.50 I got 3...figured I could break one trying to get track 3 and would not be out much!