Menu

Tutorial Making a Reader Cheap!

tafische
2005-03-07
2013-04-17
  • tafische

tafische - 2005-03-07

Thanks to agentskelly I found a great deal on some readers from All Electronics.  They are now down to $1.50!

I made a quick n00b tutorial for anyone interested.  It is draft, so please add your suggestions to this thread.

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/tafische/MakingReader.pdf

• knesa

knesa - 2005-03-07

nice tutorial. D oyou know if the reader can be modified to read all tracks using the shim method? Or is that only for the Omron V3A?

• tafische

tafische - 2005-03-07

I am still working on that.  I opened it up and it has a similar setup with 3 different mounting holes.  I think it might require a little more modding than the V3A, but I think it can be done.

I have successfully used the shim to read track 1 with this reader with no physical mods to the reader.

I hope to get some more time in the next few nights to experiment.  I will let you know...

• sendo

sendo - 2005-03-08

nice tutorial, i have a megtek 21040074, i cant find a data sheet for it. the colors are yellow, green, orange, and brown. can some one tell me what is what, thanks, Sendo

• knesa

knesa - 2005-03-10

i was wondering when taking off the insulation for the colored wires..does it matter if you strip off some of the metal fibers?

• tafische

tafische - 2005-03-10

There are not many strands in there.  It will weaken the connection to the DB15 and it could break off sometime in the future.  If you break off one or two, I would not worry about it too much.

Will it work? sure...you could probably get away with just one strand of wire. 

If I were you I would just cut off the bad end and start over again.