Menu

New, Simple parallel port adpater design

Acidus
2005-04-05
2013-04-17
  • Acidus

Acidus - 2005-04-05

Folks,

I have posted to the hardware section of the SS website a new, much easier design for a parallel port adapter. It should be considered experimental, and I have only tested it with an Omron V3A. However it doesn't need a battery or a buffer chip, making it much easier to use.
    Full details here: stripesnoop.sf.net/hardware/parallel2.html

• Charles Sullivan

Have you determined whether the $1.50 readers from All Electronics <http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=367&item=MCR-8&type=store> are compatible with this new parallel port design?

(I have no idea what current this reader uses, or even what
      current can be safely sourced/sinked with modern parallel ports.)

These readers have a 22 inch cable with a 6-pin RJ11 connector.  There's a 6-pin RJ11 jack to DB25 male adapter
      available (http://www.pigselectronics.com/products/HOOD.htm)
      which would seem to allow a simple no-soldering-required connection to a parallel port. (Just push the pins from the jack into the appropriate holes on the supplied DB25 connector.)

• Acidus

Acidus - 2005-04-11

Hmmm. Good point Charles Why don't you try! I used by last DB-15M connector a few days ago, so I can't wire my MCR-8.

That RJ-11 to DB-25M will not work. Those are usually used for consoles or terminals pluging into older Unix hardware or Cisco Switches/Routers. Besides, you have to leave the 5V line going to the gameport "loose"

Anyone have a MCR-8 wired to a DB-15 and the new parallel port design to check? Despite the warning on the "El Cheapo" construction page, you probably will not damage your port, since their is no power coming *from* the MCR-8.

• Charles Sullivan

Perhaps my description of the RJ-11 to DB-25M adapter wasn't clear.  There are 6 wires coming from the RJ-11 female jack, each with a crimped type-D pin at the end, but not inserted into the DB-25 connector body.  You can push any pin into any pin position on the DB-25, or just wrap tape around a  pin for a line to be left open.

Perhaps this info is obsolete, but looking at the parallel port pinout from the old IBM-PC Tech Ref Manual, DB-25 pins 18-25 are all Grounds.  (Is this still valid?)  But I guess the problem is that you are also tying DB-25 pin 15 to Ground, so a jumper wire with a crimped pin at either end would be required to make this connection.  (And most people wouldn't be able to find one of these.)

Taking a different tack, I did some more searching and found a similar RJ-11 to DB-15M adapter, which ought to make for a solderless gameport connection for the MCR-8.  I've got a few on order and will report back.  Only thing is these cost $3 each as opposed to 50 cents for the RJ-11 to DB-25M from pigs_electronics.  (But then there's always the S&H which makes the piece cost pretty high in either case unless you're buying a bunch of them, although still cheaper than buying a decent soldering iron and solder if you don't have them already. :-) )