Menu

Magtek and other RS-232 devices.

m2mike
2004-12-23
2013-04-17
  • m2mike

m2mike - 2004-12-23

It is probably well known by the people who frequent this forum that the Magtek readers can be interfaced with a serial port and then data can be read from a card with HyperTerminal in Windows.

My question is this:

Has anyone ever interfaced with either a Magtek or Omron serial reader with a Palm Pilot?  I see these serial HotSync cables for the Palm and I am thinking that it is not difficult to do.  A mobile solution is what I am looking for.  Basically a Palm-type device that can read the RS-232 being sent to it by a card reader.

• James Wade

James Wade - 2005-03-04

I'm a n00b. How do I interface this with the serial port? I have a MagTek 2104 that outputs to a 6-pin modular plug (like a phone plug). How do i hook this up to a DB-9?

• riscphree

riscphree - 2005-03-04

check this link out, should give you an idea where to start

http://stripesnoop.sourceforge.net/reader.html

• James Wade

James Wade - 2005-03-05

Well, that shows specifically how to connect to the joystick port (DB15), and with modification, to the parallel port (DB25). Is there any way to connect it to the serial port (DB9)?

• Acidus

Acidus - 2005-03-11

I will add an entry in the FAQ about this. TTL readers cannot be directly connected to a Serial port, as TTL readers are a "parallel" devices (multiple bits at once) while the Serial Port only accepts serial devices (bits sequentially).

SS 2.0 (currently in the CVS tree) supports Serial Readers.