Menu

Batt. Powered PS/2 interface with KeyLogger

2005-03-17
2013-04-17
  • Bob_Krinkle

Bob_Krinkle - 2005-03-17

I fell off my toilet and i thought of this. With a PS/2 mag stripe reader, a KeyKatcher, and a series of batteries (along with a female PS/2 connector) it could be possible to make a mag stripe reader to go where it could save all information swipped to the key logger.

Food for thought... I havn't really looked deeply in it.

Bob Krinkle

• Acidus

Acidus - 2005-03-30

Certainly this would work. Stealing Credit card numbers is a big business.

In the US, its normally done by Dumping diving someone and finding their account number. While most receipts these days only show the last 4 digits of the card, I noticed the slips Wachovia tellers give out (look just like ATM receipts) have my full account numbers, include VISA. The other common way is sniffing for them, social engineering, and cracking a commercial Website.

In Europe, the most common way to steal CC numbers is using a skimmer, which is just what you described. Some NVRam attached to a microcontroller and a magstripe reader. With all the tourists, almost always foreign, a waiter or clerk can skim your card while carrying it to the register. You'll be back in your home country before you notice the charges.

Believe me, I have been emailed a few times by European thefts offering me money for designing, programming, and building skimmers. I told them to fuck themselves.

• Charles Sullivan

A Google search for "portable magnetic card reader" pulls up a number of offerings, many no larger than the Omron and other wired units we're familiar with, but battery powered and fully self contained.  They store hundreds or thousands of card swipes which can then be downloaded to a PC.

• riscphree

riscphree - 2005-04-05

this has a lot of other uses besides stealing. such as showing people what kind of stuff is on their cards. i would definately like one of these. but yes, theft is a main reason for it :)

• Acidus

Acidus - 2005-04-05

Shimmers don't have LCD's or other forms of output other than a LED to let you know its on and maybe to blink when a card is recorded. By themselves they cannot show someone what is on a card: They need a computer. And if you're going to use a computer, Might as well use Stripe Snoop! Its cheaper!