Menu

Using a notebook PC

Engine
2007-06-01
2013-04-17
  • Engine

Engine - 2007-06-01

Trying to find a way to use SS with my Copaq Notebook. Any hardware sugestions?

• magstripper

magstripper - 2007-08-20

you could use a mono audio jack hooked to a mag card and use my project :)
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/magstripper

• Engine

Engine - 2007-08-25

WOW!  I'm trying to understand how the data transfers......do all mag readers read in audio?  Only a (2) two-wire solder?  I need to think some more about this one.  Thanx!

• magstripper

magstripper - 2007-08-25

Yep i was kinda surprised that not even a resistor is needed. The first place i saw it was on sephail's site, he gives a lot of detail about the hardware setup.

http://sephail.net/articles/magstripe/

So my app uses the same hardware as his, TOTALLY bypass any TTL logic and solder a mono port _directly_ to the mag head with nothing in between. Then your sound card will process the data and if you record the wav in audacity or something you'll see the peaks of the FSK encoding. My app decodes that and displays the ascii (you can then save the wav to check it out later).

All of this is actually at a lower level than stripesnoop cause it starts with clocked binary data.

Let me know what you think or if you have more questions.

• Engine

Engine - 2007-08-27

Question:  On my reader(mag head) that just reads track 2 the soldering is streight forward.
            But  the reader I have that reads all 3 tracks?????  Do I solder in series or????

• magstripper

magstripper - 2007-08-27

umm i've never owned a multi track reader. Arent they semi-expensive? I'd guess that it would work (are there 3 mag heads?). But it might be better to just order 2 more single track readers for 20 bucks each and have a track 1 and 3 reader.

• Engine

Engine - 2007-08-27

My Parents own a retail clothing store and were kind enough to endulge me w/ both a three track and a #2.  I'm going to try and solder the three track in series just for fun. Although, I don't think it will work if I understand the transfer right?  The #2 track has leads right to the mag-head.  This is such a great project and I really need to make a donation.  Don't laugh at the amount........I'm really very poor. 

• magstripper

magstripper - 2007-08-27

Dont feel you have to donate, i just wanted people to use this for free, that's why it's on sf. Tell a few more people about it, and you can also post in my forums if it's magstripper related.

Also I was thinking if you solder in series you'll probably get all 3 tracks of data at the same time. so this might work on a card that has only one track of data (even though there's be peaks at the start/end of the blank tracks). but if a card has data on more than one track it's combining the data into one waveform and crap will blow up.

• Engine

Engine - 2007-08-27

My thoughts exactly!  Better just to read track three and shim-up for 1 & 2, eh?

• magstripper

magstripper - 2007-08-27

yeah if you want a single setup you can get 3 single track readers and combine them into the same mic-in port. Then you should be able to pick up any reader and swipe the track you want.

• Engine

Engine - 2007-08-27

Oh Yeah-  I'll have to look closer at the mag-head to see if it is indeed 3 seperate heads. Let you know