Menu

old credit card machine

2005-07-12
2013-04-17
  • krazynesphreak

krazynesphreak - 2005-07-12

hello-

i would like to know if i could use an old credit card machine to make the reader? its a "Verifone Tranz 330." any ideas would help.

thanks
    ryan

• riscphree

riscphree - 2005-07-12

My guess would be to open it up and see what it uses for the card reader, but more than likely, you will be able to use that. I cant guarantee anything though.

• krazynesphreak

krazynesphreak - 2005-07-13

what are the chips/chip sets i should like for?????
      anyone know?

thanks
      ryan

• krazynesphreak

i find out the its an "F2F decoder chip." i think i have it down to three chips.

1.) [TI] 3131R2T
                 TL074C

2.)             324
          [ST] 91A318

3.) PC74HC74T
               868720Q
            Hm9318PE
         [its a Philips]

i have NO idea what any of this means, any help would be greatly appriciated.

or is there a chip i can buy for nexted to nothing?
      thanks
      ryan

• riscphree

riscphree - 2005-07-13

stick those numbers in Google and see what pops up. although it should work fine from what your describing.

• ChuckMcGuire

ChuckMcGuire - 2005-07-20

If you crack open the case and view the underside of the circuit board with the read head on the left then the pre-amplifier and detector is the chip in the bottom left corner.  Directly above it is a hex latch that finishes the process of turning the analog wave form into a purly digital one that you can recognize as a f2f signal. carefully probe with a scope as I dont remember just which pin is the output of the inverter/buffer stage.
        The same applies for a dual track Tranz 380.

• krazynesphreak

1st thing i did. nothing, then again i don`t really know how to search for somthing like this. i guess i should just buy the parts and build it. anybody want to buy an old credit card machine??? :P

thanks
      ryan

• krazynesphreak

krazynesphreak - 2005-07-21

i use google and i found both the chips but, the f2f chip detector manual is 5 buck with 5 shipping? [WTF] even if i was going to pay that, i`m still not 100% sure i could get it running, and i would only be able to read track 1 and 2 not 3. track three is more interesting to me. so this would not really help me? i have about 100 or so card i would like to read. i do have another question. if i buy all the parts to build one, and in the future when writing to the cards is possible, will i be able to simple mod the reader to write, or will i have to build a hole new "set-up?" or dose anyone know?

thanks
      -ryan

• riscphree

riscphree - 2005-07-21

you will need to buy a writer.