Doesn't build with MSVC or modified config

Big Muscle
2009-07-22
2013-05-13
  • Big Muscle

Big Muscle - 2009-07-22

I reported following description as bug, but it was closed. Tell my why? The reason of closing was that it is enigmatic. What's wrong with it? I just wrote what and when happens. So what do you expect? Ah, I know, you wrote that you expect a solution from me. But it's ... erm, funny! It's really funny to expect solutions from users. I always thought that bug reporting is for reporting bugs, so developers could fix them. But as I see, nowadays, developers aren't able to fix their bugs and user must help on its own.

If you aren't able to fix it, just say it. But don't write anything like: "Find solution yourself".

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2008
    tested on STLPort GIT from yesterday, old STLPort SVN 6512

It doesn't build because of __value in stlport/type_traits file. When
    __value changed to __val, it works.

When I enable macros _STLP_DONT_USE_SHORT_STRING_OPTIM or
    _STLP_USE_PTR_SPECIALIZATIONS in user_config.h, it doesn't build at all.
    Easy to reproduce, just enable one of these macros and build STLPort.

Compilation error when _STLP_DONT_USE_SHORT_STRING_OPTIM:
    _string_base.h(215) : error C2039: 'swap' : is not a member of
    'stlp_std::priv::
    _STLP_alloc_proxy<_Value,_Tp,_MaybeReboundAlloc>'
    with
    [
    _Value=char *,
    _Tp=char,
    _MaybeReboundAlloc=stlp_std::allocator<char>
    ]

Compilation error when _STLP_USE_PTR_SPECIALIZATIONS:
    pointers/_tools.h(24) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
    'stl/type_traits.h': No such file or directory

Please fix it. Thank you.

• Petr Ovtchenkov

Petr Ovtchenkov - 2009-07-27

> I reported following description as bug, but it was closed. Tell my why?

Because 'report' was ill-formed. First, no reference to code you used---is anybodybody except you can take the same sources? I can't. At least I can't sure in this. I'm expect something like
      '3b085bb in STLport-5.2 branch' or 'STLport-5.2.1'. [First is ref to repo, second---to download bundle].

> I always thought that bug reporting is for reporting bugs, so developers could fix them.

This is correct position for washing machine user, far enough from programming.

This project is C++ library, i.e. C++ code for C++ programmers. _Open code_. Reporter isn't 'user', but colleague, partner and co-author. In many cases my reaction will depends upon the quality of the report and goodwill to work under problem solution.

Special note for Windows users: I'm lost any interest to Windows platforms; this mean, that I will review code and accept it (if it will 'good enough') for Windows, but I will not do special developing for Windows.